Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine just called, he's getting into contracting, and has been offered a cedar shingle roof. He's laid them but has never had to bid one. I haven't done one in years and couldn't help him. It's just the labour he's unsure of. Roof is 5/12, What's reasonable for squares/day/man? Tks, Rich.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pitch 5/12, what's standard production in the field? Never mind the hard parts. No tear off, just laying them. His problem? He doesn't remember, when he was an employee, how much got covered how fast. Lots of employees don't pay attention to that stuff. All of a sudden it's become important to him. (Wonder why? :D ) Thanks Grump, Rich.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
reveivl said:
Buddy of mine's getting into contracting...but has never had to bid. It's just the labour he's unsure of.
Oh, it's JUST the labour :rolleyes: This a great example of why contracting can be a really tough room. No offense to your buddy, but he oughta' do some more thinking/planning before he strips off his shorts and dives in. Nothing like being naked in a cold swimming hole...alone.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Rich-

Alot depends on the exposure of the shakes, since the shorter the exposure, the more pieces he's got to put in place to cover a square. It's also going to depend on whether he's hand-nailing or pneumatic, whether there's a helper feeding him material or not, and how fast he is in general. I wouldn't count on getting more than 2 or 3 squares a day though.

Bob

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, he's naked, but he'll make it, maybe a few mistakes here and there, but who hasn't? At least if you're naked you can't lose your shirt! :cheesygri
Thanks, Bob, yeah it depends on everything, I know. Rich.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
reveivl said:
Yeah, he's naked, but he'll make it...At least if you're naked you can't lose your shirt! :cheesygri
LOL. :D
Yeah, OK. But at least encourage him to get proper insurance- just so he doesn't wind up proving you wrong.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cut shingles, 5-1/2" exposure. R,.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
On a 5/12, with a nail gun and staple hammer, by myself I can comfortably put down about a SQ an hour in open straight runs. Naturally caps cuts and flash slow that to a little over half.

That's comfortably, if the ex wife needs a new car, I have to hump the chicken.

Bob

oh yea, just so nobody gets confused, the other exwives leave me alone.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
A square an hour of cedar shingles?! Does that include the dry in or just the cedar shingles?

The last cedar shingle job we did was about an 8/12, we averaged about 1.5 sqares per man per day installed underlayments and shingles and flashings.

Keep in mind, for those who do not know cedar shakes and shingles are different animals. Also my personal opinion: Placing cedar shakes or shingles, but especially singles, is a waste of money on anything less than 8/12.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I don't really consider that as too fast Grump. The nail gun and straight edge do all the work. I fasten a 3/4 stick down on the last row, cut roll of thirty pound an inch high, then shake it all day long baby.

As far as work Grump, I sometimes consider a sub arrangement but retail is my bed. You have to remember, I've been at this a long time, too dam long. Long enough I've desperately tried other ventures. I've lived on steak and bought waterfront homes, however, I've slept in my truck and sold tools for chili dogs.

I call it the bounce, and I've had two good ones in 25 years, both following a divorce, go figure.

Ya gotta love this biz.

Bob

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
A square an hour seems about right for one guy. On a 30 sq. tear off a few years ago my Dad his girl friend and I did it with wood shakes in about 30 hours.

I agree Grumpy 8/12's and up are ok for shakes or wood shingles. Machine splint shingles are very time consuming. My father and I did a wood shake job this summer. He had a sorter for the back of the roof and I had one for the front. It would make you proud to know Grumpy that we hand nailed them!!!

With laying fiberglass shingles day in and day out it's kind of nice to do something different.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Aaron Hitachi makes a nice nail gun, but what you have to know is that you need a different gun for cedar shingles than you need for cedar shakes. Doesn't that suck! If you need to obuy the gun, call ABC and tell them you need a cedar shake gun and they will set you up. I honestly forgot which model it was... I was going to buy two on the last cedar job we did LOL but they didn't have the nails in stock!!! Their loss.

Cedar shakes need a 6 nail, cedar shingles need a 4. That's why you need different guns. My cedar siding sub uses his cedar siding gun for his cedar shake roofs... which has saved him some money on equipment. He also said he uses 6's on his cedar shingles but has experienced some splitting during install because of the girth of the nail.

Oh they make the nail guns in straight and coil... you definetly want coil.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I used to use an impulse with the pasload ringshank, if I remember correctly they make a 6 galv, that worked perfectly.

Now I guess I'd have to use my bostich with an 8 electoplate twist.

I've seen fellas use staplers with a wide crown, but I've shyed away from that idea.

Bob

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My cedar shake gun is a Pasload sheating stapler. Usually 2 inch staples are used for fastening number 1 grade shakes. Never have blow offs so I guess were doing it right!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts