Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon you'll be able to accept credit cards with your smart phone using a new product called Square. Square connects to your headphone jack and uses an app on your phone to process payments. There are no contracts or monthly fees!
I don't know what the processing rates are but this looks really slick and the fact that here are no contracts or monthly fees means it's going to be a lot easier to justify having a mobile credit card processing system.

Looks pretty solid.

Here's a video Demo:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just started using this service on my iphone. It charges 3% of every transaction. I have started adding 3% to every bid and offering a 3% cash or check discount.

I did have to call when I set up the account to authorize charges over $1000. Initially they wanted to hold anything over $1000 for 30 days.

My only concern is the extra wear on my headphone jack when swiping the cards. I think an extension cable would cure this, but I haven't tried using one yet.

Anyone else using this service?

·
Thread Killer
185 Posts
I have been using this on my droid for a few months, it's a great tool to have on the road.

No more "My wife has the check book."

"That's no problem, I take credit or debit cards." :whistling: :clap:

·
Design + Remodeling
363 Posts
Are they still holding amounts over a $1000 for thirty days? that turns me off a little about signing up with them
Just call their customer service number when signing up and they will remove that restriction.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, any problems with it spinning around and not staying in place? That's the only thing I question.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
There have been numerous mobile credit card processing companies for years. Monthly fees and such, I don't know. I used to carry my terminal with me in my breif case and plug it into the customers phone line and swipe it in their house. Then I grew and screw that. I mark the fees into my bottom line and have them sign a disclaimer saying they won't dispute blah blah blah, though none ever have tried.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We added Square for mobile credit card transactions about a month ago.

This past Wednesday I finnally got around to using it.

I like the concept, but the jury is still out.

I'll probably know better in a few days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MasterBlaster said:
We added Square for mobile credit card transactions about a month ago.

This past Wednesday I finnally got around to using it.

I like the concept, but the jury is still out.

I'll probably know better in a few days.
Intuit has a credit card swiper as well called GoPayment. I like their reader bc it appears less flimsy, but I still don't take credit cards... yet.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
If you are going to accept credit cards, accept them through your bank.

Square only accepts $1000 at a time and the rest is on hold for 30 days. That isn't going to help me much when I am taking a 10k credit card payment.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts