Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a lot of square hung facia on regular hip roofs but never on a irregular hip where there is two different roof pitches,also the roof framer bibles gives the miter and bevel angle for regular hips but not the irregular combination's.

Is it possible to go square hung on irregular roofs?

·
Design Build
8,666 Posts
So not plumb cut fascia?

My first thought would be adjusting the plate heights...or having different overhang runs. That's how I maintain a single fascia line with bastard roofs. Mostly I raise the steeper pitch plates, so that from the street, all the overhangs are the same.

Might be tough for the truss guy to do...unless you pay him more.

I have never done square fascia...upload some pics of whatcha doin':thumbup:

·
Design Build
8,666 Posts
PS

I like having the RSS feeds for each trade discipline. I was doing 3 other things (other than CT) and my email alerted me to this pressing new thread in the framing section - I am an addict to both framing and CT. (Yup, my life is that boring);)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So not plumb cut fascia?

My first thought would be adjusting the plate heights...or having different overhang runs. That's how I maintain a single fascia line with bastard roofs. Mostly I raise the steeper pitch plates, so that from the street, all the overhangs are the same.

Might be tough for the truss guy to do...unless you pay him more.

I have never done square fascia...upload some pics of whatcha doin':thumbup:
Wallmaxx,

Thanks for the quick reply damn that was fast lol.I'm actually not doing any square hung right now,I have some time off and for some reason this popped into my head lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have done a lot of square hung facia on regular hip roofs but never on a irregular hip where there is two different roof pitches,also the roof framer bibles gives the miter and bevel angle for regular hips but not the irregular combination's.

Syjy.

Square fascia on Irregulars is not recommended (Imo). It is over complicated and not very attractive. The fascia widths are proportional (irregular) and not equal (regular) at the miters and depending how radical the pitch differences is, it can get awkward quickly.

I have run square to the shallow pitch and matched the irregular’s overhang around the corner with what appears to be square hung, but the steep side fascia is not square to the tails, it is adjusted to the same relative angle of the shallow pitch. If the overhang is exposed then it looks best with unequal length overhangs. If the soffit is raked then it’ll look better if the Irreg. overhangs are equal width and the soffit rakes are furred down to match. Flat soffits are the easiest and work for both equal and proportional overhangs.

The most common place I’ve had to deal with this on square hung fascias is on 45 bay window bump-out roofs where the wing wall pitches often become irregular. Plumb fascia and boxed soffit solves it easiest.

I have yet to find a roof framing book that address your fascia construction scenario. In my opinion, it is possible, it is just not practicle.

·
Pro
506 Posts
I'd almost have to say that the steeper side needs to be swooped up at the tail to match the pitch, possibly with "scab-on" tails. Otherwise it gets hairy in a hurry with the miters/widths of your fascia board plus you have to deal with different elevation where your tails meet the house, which to me would look dicked.

That being said, I've not done any square tails on irregular pitches. What birch is saying makes a lot of sense - adjusting the angle on the steeper tail to the lower pitch, but to me the bigger evil is the irregularity at the house.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
..... but to me the bigger evil is the irregularity at the house.
Many times I have used a larger dimension lumber on the steeper pitch to prevent having to pack up the plates to keep an even overhang. This allows for the heel to have a much larger HAP. I would imagine that the underside of the overhang could be ripped to match fascia width and the intersection at the house without being too obvious. It would depend on how extreme the pitch change is.:thumbsup: In any case, the angle of the fascia should match on both sides, regardless of the fact that it is not truly square with the pitch on the steeper/shallower side. The underside could then be finished as a true 45 to the corner.

·
Pro
506 Posts
Many times I have used a larger dimension lumber on the steeper pitch to prevent having to pack up the plates to keep an even overhang. This allows for the heel to have a much larger HAP. I would imagine that the underside of the overhang could be ripped to match fascia width and the intersection at the house without being too obvious. It would depend on how extreme the pitch change is.:thumbsup: In any case, the angle of the fascia should match on both sides, regardless of the fact that it is not truly square with the pitch on the steeper/shallower side. The underside could then be finished as a true 45 to the corner.
upsizing the rafter in this scenario is not an option since you're trying to keep fascia consistent (height wise, flush with the rafter) that's the evil that I am talking about. unless you'd use wider stock, then taper it down from the house to the fascia.

numerous scenarios and considerations (usual BS), works out to be a lot simpler in the field when you have all the specifics and know where and what to fudge or slap around.:thumbup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
upsizing the rafter in this scenario is not an option since you're trying to keep fascia consistent (height wise, flush with the rafter) that's the evil that I am talking about. unless you'd use wider stock, then taper it down from the house to the fascia.

:thumbup:
That is what I thought I said. No?:blink:

·
Pro
506 Posts
Whatca building?:blink:
you don't want to know :rolleyes:

this house was built in 1985 and completely renovating the inside, adding a couple of rooms, replacing windows, siding, roofing, patios, front stoop etc. trick is, whoever built it was a complete retard. the exterior walls are all 2x4 with osb sheathing, then there is a 3-1/2" (rat maze) space then another wall built on the inside. this whole contraption is tied together with a ripped 2x12 plate sandwiched in between the bottom top and top top plates.

THEN...

20" floor trusses :whistling

THEN..
another floor of the same bull**** framing (I think they ripped the 2x12 plate about an inch too wide)

everything is covered in plastic and blown in insulating (some stupid energy star garbage.)

THEN.. there's an infestation of every possible vermin starting from ants and termites and yellow-jackets up to squirrels and rats.

truss roof as well with OSB sheathing. I can't believe they actually build houses out of this shiat.

BUT..
My gig is doing the additions, hanging new sub-fascias and azek trim. Doing some bullshat inside etc. Downside is it's an 1.5 hour haul so I stay there late to justify going there at all :party:

how about yourself? get stung by yellowjackets lately?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
you don't want to know :rolleyes:

this house was built in 1985 and completely renovating the inside, adding a couple of rooms, replacing windows, siding, roofing, patios, front stoop etc. trick is, whoever built it was a complete retard. the exterior walls are all 2x4 with osb sheathing, then there is a 3-1/2" (rat maze) space then another wall built on the inside. this whole contraption is tied together with a ripped 2x12 plate sandwiched in between the bottom top and top top plates.

THEN...

20" floor trusses :whistling

THEN..
another floor of the same bull**** framing (I think they ripped the 2x12 plate about an inch too wide)

everything is covered in plastic and blown in insulating (some stupid energy star garbage.)

THEN.. there's an infestation of every possible vermin starting from ants and termites and yellow-jackets up to squirrels and rats.

truss roof as well with OSB sheathing. I can't believe they actually build houses out of this shiat.

BUT..
My gig is doing the additions, hanging new sub-fascias and azek trim. Doing some bullshat inside etc. Downside is it's an 1.5 hour haul so I stay there late to justify going there at all :party:

how about yourself? get stung by yellowjackets lately?
One sting a few weeks ago, working on my own house no less.:furious: Other than that, eating 100 year old dust in a big old building in the town where I grew up.:rolleyes: Your job sounds worse than the shiot I'm breathing.

·
Pro
506 Posts
One sting a few weeks ago, working on my own house no less.:furious: Other than that, eating 100 year old dust in a big old building in the town where I grew up.:rolleyes: Your job sounds worse than the shiot I'm breathing.
We're actually managing to have a decent enough time there. Ripped down all the soffits yesterday - got a good lung-full of blown in insulating saturated with squirrel piss. Every bay had a nest of yellowjackets :thumbup:. For some obscene reason (maybe just to muck this place even more) they ordered the original roof trusses with a 11" tall fascia cut. Will look splendid with a nice 1x12 azek board on it I'm sure :no:

Same ol' shat, different day. Rather be doing this than sitting home thinking of ways to spend my money :thumbup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
We're actually managing to have a decent enough time there. Ripped down all the soffits yesterday - got a good lung-full of blown in insulating saturated with squirrel piss. Every bay had a nest of yellowjackets :thumbup:. For some obscene reason (maybe just to muck this place even more) they ordered the original roof trusses with a 11" tall fascia cut. Will look splendid with a nice 1x12 azek board on it I'm sure :no:

Same ol' shat, different day. Rather be doing this than sitting home thinking of ways to spend my money :thumbup:
Yesterday I got a mouthfull of dirt, coaldust and petrified pidgeon poo. If you ever accidentally swallowed a moth, it was like 10 of them. We are getting set to install a 1x12 with a 1x6 step up to cover the original 16" fascia on here.:eek: Cool trusses though, 40' above grade, freespanning 40' across.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

It is possible. I was trying to find the link over at JLC but Joe Bartok worked this out. I should be more clear though, you can't make both tails square. One will be square and the other will be angled off 90 to match.

He has a calculator that will figure the angle you need to look square, but match fascia. This way you don't have to rip the fasica on one side.

http://ca.geocities.com/web_sketches/square_fascia/angled_fascia/angled_fascia.html

I might be totally wrong though. I think John Kirkpatrick framed a gazebo and went with the square tails

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43627

·
Registered
199 Posts
Last fall I did a gazebo with this situation. It was a little different, because the hips had the square tails as opposed to the commons. I had a bit of help from Joe Bartok figuring everything out.

The situation arose from an exisiting gazebo overlooking a pool that the homeowner wanted to match with a new one overlooking her tennis courts. The problem was gazebo #1 was 12x12 while gazebo #2 was 12x16. No problem, just make an irregular pyramid roof.....

The fascia on gazebo #2 had to be ripped and planed so that the bevels and angles came together correctly, and it was a PITA, but when finished, it worked.

Then at the beginning of this year, I had a house to frame with square tail fascia and closed soffits, with irregular pitches as well as different overhang lengths. The shallow side was to have a fascia that worked as a brick frieze five and a half past the frame, while the steeper side resulted in a 2' overhang. This situation was actually a little easier, but I used the steep side as my reference point in order to determine the shallow sides angle, opposite of what others have posted. It works either way really, as long as the steep side isn't something like an 21/12. Because we used closed soffits in conjuction with the square tails, it came out looking great.

So yeah, it is possible to do it with good results, but, I would strongly recommend not doing it where the fascia is square to the hips on an irregular pitch roof unless it is a T&M job... that was a real bastard.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Omg , you must be from the south , or 23 years old. adjust the heal hieghs.............................:censored:
I build according to the plans. When the plans call for unequal overhangs then that's what I do, and it required adjusting the heels. The architect had it drawn a certain way to create a specific look, which came out great.
As if I don't know how to frame a roof, man what a joke.

You have a problem with people from the south Bill ? I wish I was 23 againand I would waste my time arguing with a bigot.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Omg , you must be from the south , or 23 years old. adjust the heal hieghs.............................:censored:
Are you responding to the last post, because the topic is square hung FASCIA not birds mouth heals

1 - 20 of 23 Posts