Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know it has been beaten to death before, but I need some generic square foot prices to put into a spread sheet just to get started. I realize how off they could be but I just need to get something in there that is realistic for:

Say on a 10x10 room
Painting
-- primer
-- 1 coat
-- 2nd coat

Drywall texture
-- skim coat
-- egg shell
-- knock down

Wall paper
-- Removal
-- Application

Anybody care to take a shot, not too picky any info would help. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mike,

The problem with asking for prices is that everyone has a different operating cost. It wouldn't make any sense for anyone to give you generic prices. They might not work for you. I am assuming we are talking about sft wall and not floor. Right?

My suggestion to you be to invest in one of the national paint cost estimator books. Go to the PDCA web site and buy it.

Go through it and work from there. It will take some time and fine tuning to figure out where you need to be but it is worth the effort.

I may have something that might help you. Give me your email.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
How big of a rush are you in? I've been known to drop to cost on occasion just to keep someone employed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, man ill tell you, i tried the square foot method, even went as far as buying the national painiting cost estimator and for me it ended up being more of a headache than a benefit. I would only use the square foot method for jobs to big for me to estimate by my hourly rate

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Mike,
I always measure the wall space(sq ft) on specfic jobs. But that's just for specific man hour estimating. In other words sooner or later I'm going to know ballpark how long it takes to prep, paint a 10x10 room by the sq ft of said room. I always estimate how long it's going to take me x hrly rate. I'm good at man hour estimating.

Having said that, I do repaints exclusively. Around here if you going to be competetive with new work, then you need to have a sq ft (wall space) estimating method. That's one of the reasons I haven't ventured into new work, that and I make more money with less headaches on repaints.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I am amazed that people say they don't estimate by square foot because it all comes down to square foot in the end. If you take 2 rooms in a house with identical paint requirements and you determine that one room that has 320 sq/ft of wall space will cost $500 to paint then if another room with identical requirements is 640 sq/ft doesn't it mean it will cost $1000? When you scale up or down aren't you ultimately using sq/ft instead of doing all the calculations all over again?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excel Estimating

I came across a Excel Estimating sheet one of my friends sent me a while back, mainly for painting projects ,
Have a look see if it of any use for any of your projects.

Attachments

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Come on now painters! Help me out here.

Let me try it this way.

Let's take a 10 L x 10 D X 8 H room, that's 420 square feet including the ceiling. All wall and ceiling prep is done, drywall repaired whatever, just paint it. No molding to paint no windows, hey not even a door!

How many hours to paint it all the same color? 1 coat primer, 2 coats finish paint?

·
Registered
83 Posts
With two people I've done a room about that size and amount of paint in a 8am-4pm day. The room may have been a bit smaller, but I had obsticales to deal with.

We moved everything out of the room, got the primer on and then took a break (early lunch, late breakfast). Got back and put the first and second coat of paint on one after another.

Not sure if this is a normal pace for most, some say we took to long, some say we didn't take enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mike,
On an average house, best case scenario, not furniture, ceiling and walls are the same color= an estimate of 100 sq feet per man hour. Move some funiture, socket covers on and off, drop down to 75/80 sq ft per hr. Does that help???

Let me know I'll come-up with some more numbers

Peter

FYI- - I woke up to 10 inches of snow at my house this morning, what fun-- - too bad I going to moab of Cruise Moab 05' for next week. And I thought it was almost May spring weather

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Smooth ceilings and walls...gimme an hour for the ceiling and cleanup. 2 if it's knockdown, popcorn, crows feet, or otherwise texture. Cutting in can be a real pain on some of these, and for that I charge an extra hour because it takes longer, and is annoying! :D

Walls. Would take me about 2 hours per coat by myself. That's with up to two windows and two door casings to cut around like an avg. bedroom (one entry door, one closet door)...

Looking at 7 or 8 hours $280-315 not including materials. Comes out to $0.66 or $0.75 cent per sq. ft. but I figure it at $35/hr. I've found much less and I lose money doing the job.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Come on now painters! Help me out here.

Let me try it this way.

Let's take a 10 L x 10 D X 8 H room, that's 420 square feet including the ceiling. All wall and ceiling prep is done, drywall repaired whatever, just paint it. No molding to paint no windows, hey not even a door!

How many hours to paint it all the same color? 1 coat primer, 2 coats finish paint?
Mike....ok, if I'm cutting in next to finished trim, eight hours easily. I take it this is a repaint? If so the eight hours is for 2 coats of finish. Even if it's new sheetrock, I would tint the primer to 70% of the finish color and still do it in two coats. Gimme a hollar if I can be of further assitance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Yes, I know it has been beaten to death before, but I need some generic square foot prices to put into a spread sheet just to get started. I realize how off they could be but I just need to get something in there that is realistic for:

Say on a 10x10 room
Painting
-- primer
-- 1 coat
-- 2nd coat

Drywall texture
-- skim coat
-- egg shell
-- knock down

Wall paper
-- Removal
-- Application

Anybody care to take a shot, not too picky any info would help. :)
go to duron.com i bookmarked it (duron paint calculator)if you are new then it will be a helpful tool until you get your own system down. :Thumbs:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts