Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone experienced the neutral screw loosening on a Square D circuit panel load center type QOC (then add'l number/letters) to the point it caused uncontrollable surges and the inability to turn off the electricity?
:eek:

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
What do you mean unable to turn off the electricity? That is a function of the circuit breakers and not the neutral wire. A loose neutral can cause surges and over voltage situations. This is somethine that needs to be taken care of right away before you start losing tvs, stereos, microwaves, and anything else that uses electricity.
Any make of panel can have a loose connection if the wires are not tourqed correctly.
Post back if you have other questions

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If you don't understand or can't troubleshoot the problem, you should get an electrcian PRONTO, RAPIDO.
If the wiring is aluminum. Yes to looseness. If copper, somebody might to have forgotton to tighten something.
Inability to turn off, go back to the first sentence.
When I bought my house inthe Carloina's it was only 7 yrs old and owned by a deputy sheriff. Somebody had bypassed the meter and I didn't find out until all of the power was 'supposedly' shut down and I was wiring in a ceiling fan and living room chandelier and the flashbulbs went off in a very dark attic.
A licensed electrician now works for me and worth every dime, even the days that we have to go fishin'.

U

·
0 Posts
I dont see how a loose neutral would keep one from turning off a breaker. Square D QO snap in breakers seem to have lots of problems with the connection on the bus. Sometimes the heat from this will ruin a breaker. I would make sure this wasnt the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts