Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an order of lumber yesterday, and the 8 foot studs are marked Austrian Spruce from the Czech Republic. I'm in Boston. That's a long way for these slivers to float to sell for about $3.50 each here. They seem to be good and straight compared to box store crappy studs. This is the first time I've gotten wood from across the pond for basic framing lumber and I'm just wondering how often any other carpenters have seen this aspect of globalization.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I knew that somebody was hoarding all of the straight ones!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Vermont and got the same kind fo studs a fews ago. they were straight as an arrow. keep up the good work over there their tree farms must be like rose gardens

·
Registered
269 Posts
So if they can send straight studs half way around the world and sell them for $3.50 each, why are we paying nearly the same amount for crooked ones that were grown right here in north america? Kind of makes you wonder how rich the north american lumber companies are getting?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Make sure the studs are not UTILITY grade. This grade has been showing up on job sites in the Boston area even though No. 2 or better was ordered. Can't use utility studs in exterior walls or any other load-bearing wall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Talking About Studs .

I KNOW A FRAMING CONTRACTOR HERE IN NORTH CALI THAT USES FJ STUDS ALL THE TIME EVEN WHEN PLANS CALL FOR DF # 1 OR #2.
I DON'T THINK THIS IS OK IS IT.
HE USES THEM ON TRACT HOMES SELLING ABOVE 6 HUNDRED Ks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts