Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..........Fall has fell, winter's here, cold as hell.

Just a few tips for ya:

Winter Attire
Wear loose fitting, lightweight, warm clothing in several layers (the trapped air between the layers insulates). Layers can be removed to avoid perspiration and subsequent chill.
Wear outer garments that are tightly woven, water repellent, and hooded.
Wear a hat (half of body heat is lost through the top of the head).
Wear mittens that are snug at the wrist. Mittens offer better protection.
Gloves allow your fingers to cool much fast than mittens do.
Cover the mouth and nose with scarves to help protect lungs from cold air.
Attempt to keep your feet as dry as possible. Wear wool socks.
Frostbite
Frostbite is a severe reaction to cold exposure of the skin that can permanently damage fingers, toes, the nose, and ear lobes.
Symptoms are: numbness and a white or pale appearance to the skin.
Seek medical help immediately. Until help arrives warm the body slowly.
Warm the body core before the extremities.
Hypothermia
Hypothermia is brought on when the body temperature drops to less than 95 degrees.
Symptoms are: slow or slurred speech, incoherence, memory loss, disorientation, shivering, drowsiness, repeated stumbling, and exhaustion.
Seek medical help immediately. Until help arrives begin warming the body very slowly. Warm the body core first. Get the victim into warm, dry clothing, covering the head and the neck. As a last resort use your own body to warm the victim. Do not give alcohol, drugs, coffee or any hot beverage.
Warm broth is better. Do not warm the arms and legs first. This drives the cold blood toward the heart and can lead to heart failure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe I should sent this to my 18yr old kid who walked to the bus stop yesterday in a T shirt(23*). Think he'll read it?:no:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should sent this to my 18yr old kid who walked to the bus stop yesterday in a T shirt(23*). Think he'll read it?:no:

if u txt it 2 hm, mybe.

(Oh, and you can put the ° symbol in your post by holding down the Alt key and entering 0176 on your keyboard.)

Reactions: SC sawdaddy

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Don't forget the damaging UV rays in winter as well - wear sunscreen if you will be exposed to the sun for long hours.

Also, you can still perspire in cold weather, stay well hydrated.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
..........Fall has fell, winter's here, cold as hell.

Just a few tips for ya:

Winter Attire
Wear loose fitting, lightweight, warm clothing in several layers (the trapped air between the layers insulates). Layers can be removed to avoid perspiration and subsequent chill.
Wear outer garments that are tightly woven, water repellent, and hooded.
Wear a hat (half of body heat is lost through the top of the head).
Wear mittens that are snug at the wrist. Mittens offer better protection.
Gloves allow your fingers to cool much fast than mittens do.
Cover the mouth and nose with scarves to help protect lungs from cold air.
Attempt to keep your feet as dry as possible. Wear wool socks.
Frostbite
Frostbite is a severe reaction to cold exposure of the skin that can permanently damage fingers, toes, the nose, and ear lobes.
Symptoms are: numbness and a white or pale appearance to the skin.
Seek medical help immediately. Until help arrives warm the body slowly.
Warm the body core before the extremities.
Hypothermia
Hypothermia is brought on when the body temperature drops to less than 95 degrees.
Symptoms are: slow or slurred speech, incoherence, memory loss, disorientation, shivering, drowsiness, repeated stumbling, and exhaustion.
Seek medical help immediately. Until help arrives begin warming the body very slowly. Warm the body core first. Get the victim into warm, dry clothing, covering the head and the neck. As a last resort use your own body to warm the victim. Do not give alcohol, drugs, coffee or any hot beverage.
Warm broth is better. Do not warm the arms and legs first. This drives the cold blood toward the heart and can lead to heart failure.
Damn your depressing me. :sad:

·
ampman
783 Posts
good rules to live by i will remember this when we get out of the 90's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts