Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is proficient with spreadsheets? I'm working on some forms in Excel and can't figure out how to format a row to figure the percent markup based on two different rows.

If anyone has an idea I can give more specific info.

thanks in advance
Don

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hatchet said:
Is it a comparison between 2 rows or the summation? I'm thinking an array formula could work but don't have enough specifics.
What I'm doing is setting C1 as the cost of item(say,plywood) C3 is the price of the item. C2 will show the %markup. I want this to work either by entering the markup in C2 and getting the price, and by entering the price in C3 and getting the markup % in C2.

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard_GL said:
Don,
Go to www.mrexcel.com
There is a message board there and they are experts there...
Thanks Richard, I've asked there and am waiting for a reply. If I find the answer I'll post it here for anyone else who may need it.

Don

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
It would be a simple if then statement.. =if(C1, C1/C3, 0) for one half of the problem.
But you might need a 4th column.. otherwise the formula in c2 will be overwritten when you want to enter a markup amount. You could make a vbasic script that automatically updates the fields - wouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don,

I think Mike Finley is correct about the circular reference situation. Though, what you're looking to do is possible in excel with the aid of VBA. I prepared a simple proof of concept spreadsheet, but this board does not allow the attachment of .xls files. I could e-mail it to anyone willing to give it a try.

Sean

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. When I get home from work today I'll look into some of your suggestions. I appreciate the input.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts