Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sparying a dining room witha high gloss finish laquer from Fine Paints Of Europe.(oil based) The color is called atlantic deep, looks like a teal from BM. The designer wants it to be "mirror like finish". I have sprayed 6 coats of the freaking paint that costs $103.00 for 2.5 liters. I have been using the Fuji Q4 Pro HVLP sprayer with the gravity gun to get the mirror like finish. Some spots have come out amazing and other spots looks foggy or cloudy. I have mixed penetrol with some coats and laquer thinner with others and same crap. Today I sprayed on an automotive clear coat as per designers request but looks worse.
So my first question would be can I paint over the clear coat?
and second question
How do i get the mirror like finish everywhere with no cloudy or foggy spots? Will be back in there tomorrow so all the advice is appreciated.

Best,
Sam

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Fuji coating but cloudy foggy spots and/or fisheye sound like contamination issues. Is there a lot of water or solvent in your cup when you start the day? Solvent added to a coating will LOWER SHEEN. It dilutes the reflecting particles. I've had that happen on laquer finishes I've done in the past. Where the sheen will vary from one area of a piece to another. Make sure you only shoot it once and let it dry. Then come back. You have to fight the urge to shoot "oh that looks a little dry I'll add a little here and there".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts