Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To you paints prayers , you guys ever spray primer and not back roll it, then roll your regular paint as normal

·
Registered
12,812 Posts
No. You want the best adhesion possible. Backrolling or brushing gives you the best chance of it doing it's job.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
538 Posts
My understanding is that back rolling creates a continuous surface so the pinholes that develop when spraying are covered. This completes your coverage area resulting in better adhesion of the paint. Why aren't power rollers used more often? Seems to me you'd save a ton of time on all that prep you have to do when spraying.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My understanding is that back rolling creates a continuous surface so the pinholes that develop when spraying are covered. This completes your coverage area resulting in better adhesion of the paint. Why aren't power rollers used more often? Seems to me you'd save a ton of time on all that prep you have to do when spraying.
Oh, so now we're talking levels of adhesion? So you spend unnecessary time backrolling to achieve a better than necessary level of adhesion? OK, fine.

·
Registered
12,812 Posts
It's also overkill. The atomization of the paint is what makes it stick effectively. You backrollers ever consider that?
You seem to be the only one around here who keeps saying no back rolling no matter what. I'll stick to my methods.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If one can accomplish doing a fine job not backrolling, why not get good at that and save time (which equals $$$)? Jobs that can be done backrolling can be done just as well not backrolling. If you're job turned out crappy not backrolling, then say exactly why. Maybe you need to improve your technique. Otherwise, carry on backrolling. :whistling

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
I never backroll when I spray shellac (BIN) as a primer. This is the one case I'll mask absolutely everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts