Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am repainting an apartment I own. It has the popcorn ceilings, so I gotta spray that. Here was my idea, spray stain sealing primer thru out walls and ceiling then spray flat on ceiling and walls, assuming the ceiling looks o.k. doing the final coat of semi on the walls by hand.

Would it be considered 2 coats on the walls? The first is the flat that was sprayed the second is the semi that was done by hand.

Do any of you painting pro's have a problem with this?

Obviously I am not a painter by profession.

regards,

Bruce Hawkins

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Tonkadad said:
I am not a painter by profession.
How big is the apartment?
Have you sprayed before?
Are you borrowing, renting, or buying a sprayer?
There's a learning curve on those things, and they are pretty messy
If you're not used to it, or used to taping things off, it won't save you any time really

If I am understanding you correctly, I'd say you really don't want ceiling paint on the walls

2 coats is generally considered 2 coats of the same paint

Are you sure you really need stain sealing primer on the whole place?
Is it that bad?

Unless there is something unusual about this apartment, or you have experience with and have access (not have to buy or rent) a sprayer, I think I'd suggest doing it by hand with the proper prep, tools, and materials

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Word of warning: Popcorn ceilings love to fall down when hit with wet paint. Test a small area before going through with it. Popcorn is made with chalk instead of mud like other ceiling textures, and will come off in sheets if what's up there isn't solid. Good way to test is with a damp rag, just press it against one spot for a minute, and then test adhesion with your finger. I've been burnt by popcorn ceilings falling down before, and I had to come here to ask for help once, so look for that thread. I'd hate to see your whole ceiling start falling down on you, and sometimes, it won't happen till hours later! I have a special disclaimer for this exact reason now days! Do not hose it down if you're spraying it...make nice light passes across the whole thing over-lapping 50%.

I wouldn't waste the flat on the walls. If you're just painting to rent it again and it's stained up bad, go in and put a coat of kills on all the stains followed by one coat of a good semi-gloss....it'll get you by. I still always recommend two topcoats no matter what....

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Would it be considered 2 coats on the walls?
Yes, that's 2 coats.
Do any of you painting pro's have a problem with this?
Only problem I see iswithonly 2 coat of s/g being rolled, you run the chance of having a skipper, or holiday, and it will be very noticable (IE a flat spot amongst the shine).
I'd spray it all with the primer/sealer, spray ceiling, then brush/roll walls 2 coats.
As AApaint said, be very gentle on that popcorn.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Slickshift, yes I have painted with a sprayer before, I did my whole house came out very nice. The amount of time it saves on trimmed area's is amazing. Thanks for the input.

AAPaint, thanks for the heads up about the popcorn issue, I was wondering about that. I have a neighbor in the building, I R&R her kitchen cabinets about 6 months ago when she found out I was going to paint my place she asked me to do hers right after, would it be possible to get a copy of the contract that you use for painting and the popcorn issue?

PWG, I was hoping to get by with spraying as much as possible, but I think you are right about the holiday possibility. Thanks for your comments.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
This is the section of my contract about popcorn ceilings. It's very basic, but it works.

POPCORN CEILINGS: Painting popcorn ceilings can result in failure of the entire ceiling texture. AA Quality Paint & Pressure Washing LLC will do it's best to assess whether or not ceilings of this type will hold up well once painted by applying test patches using water or paint and then testing for adhesion. Popcorn celings are made with a chalk base and are not always as strongly adhered to the underlying ceiling surface enough to be painted because moisture in paint can loosen it's bond. Allthough we can generally tell if a texture will hold through proper testing, final decision to paint these surfaces is up to the homeowner. AA Quality Paint & Pressure Washing assumes no liability for failures due to painting of any popcorn ceilings.

Hope that helps! :Thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts