Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you painters, any you guys ever spray doors in place after the walls are finish painted .thanks

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I have a question for you painters, any you guys ever spray doors in place after the walls are finish painted .thanks
No, not when the walls are already done. If it's high quality you need to take them down. If it's rental grade, break out the whiz.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The walls are finished , but the floors are raw plywood , so I though I could mask around them and spray them.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It'd be just as easy to remove the doors in one area and bring them to one of the rooms. Using cheap plastic drops, cover a wall or two from top to bottom, then position some doors there against the wall and spray them. Repeat the same in other areas of the place.

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
By the time you hang plastic, remove and move the doors spray them and move them back and hang them again you could have brushed and rollered them and be heading home for a beer. 10 minutes per door tops by brush and roller.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
By the time you hang plastic, remove and move the doors spray them and move them back and hang them again you could have brushed and rollered them and be heading home for a beer. 10 minutes per door tops by brush and roller.
10 min for paneled interior doors, both sides? I don't think so. Removing 2 hinge pins per door takes seconds. Hanging plastic on a couple of walls takes about 5 min. Setting up the airless, gun, paint, 15 min tops. Spraying each door side, less than a minute. Do the math.

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
Oh are we painting the hinges, that removes 3 minutes per door...no drop clothes....yes I can do them in 10 minutes per door both sides and cutting around 3 hinges.....bazinga

As I said to a member here asking about getting into spraying, spraying is fine for certain applications but not all....hone your skills with a brush and roller and it will pay dividends.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Does NO ONE look around at your paint store? Who the eff masks by hand? 5 minutes to mask a wall? How does 5 seconds sound?

You really gotta stop complaining about masking for sprayin. With one if these, it's not even an issue. Sheesh guys...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Driftweed said:
Does NO ONE look around at your paint store? Who the eff masks by hand? 5 minutes to mask a wall? How does 5 seconds sound? You really gotta stop complaining about masking for sprayin. With one if these, it's not even an issue. Sheesh guys...
I have tried them. Ok if your not worried about the tape being exactly where you want it. I have tried about 3 other brands with the same results.

But if I was the OP I would take them of to paint them. No masking at all and you can set them up in one area to hit as many as you can in one hit.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Does NO ONE look around at your paint store? Who the eff masks by hand? 5 minutes to mask a wall? How does 5 seconds sound?

View attachment 109461

You really gotta stop complaining about masking for sprayin. With one if these, it's not even an issue. Sheesh guys...
Ya, I'll use a 3M masker roll to cover a wall because its fast. If you were cheap or didn't own a 3M masker, any cheap disposable plastic drop unfolded would do. As for the hinges, some jobs the hinges are already painted, if unpainted, you can buy 3M rounded hinge tape.

All in all, if applicable, I'd rather spray doors rather than have to tediously roll and brush each one. I've done plenty of roll and brush over the decades too.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I prefer to completely remove the hinges and paint the doors on a rack or something in a large room or the garage. I hate seeing paint on hardware, even if it's almost perfectly masked off. I believe it is impossible to perfectly mask and still open and close the door. Besides, how do you paint the bottom of the door in place?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would simply remove the doors especially if you said you had about 20 of them. Mask the walls with a sheet of plastic. Then see if you can get a piece of strapping usually 8 ft long, remove all the hardware from the doors and drill the strapping to the top of the doors, leave about 2 feet of space in-between each one and off you go. Also not sure what type of sprayer your using but look into a fine finish tip, if your going graco I find a 212 or 210 works best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts