Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I've been painting for decades and I'm having trouble with the water based dtm drying time. It won't stay open long enough to give a consistent finish. I have heard ( I live in Calif) that if you ad a small amount of paint thinner and mix it in well that the product will stay open and flow smoothly. Anyone ever done this and are there any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spraying dtm- how to keep it open?

yes, of course i have tried floetrol, to me that product doesn't do much more than water. the paint thinner additive is supposed to work because the DTM formulation with H20 really still has characteristics of the mineral spirits (thats paint thinner to you youngsters) DTM of 10 years ago. Here in California they have the strict air quality controls for the manufacturers so they have taken all oil out of the vehicle, but I have heard that the DTM will accept and mix with thinner, I have tried it but don't know if I added enough. I didn't notice any smoother application with it and was wondering if anyone else ever tried this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts