Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bid a house(new construction) and the walls and ceilings all get paint, also the base board and casings. I am going to spray the primer on, then spray finish on ceilings. I plan on also spraying the wood before its hung. The walls go 5 different colors, so in my opinion spraying finish on them is a waste of time. I guess what i'm getting at here is what order do other painters do this,and do they mask off windows, when spraying primer. My thought here is,mask windows for overspray, spray primer on ceilings and walls,sand, spray finish on ceilings,spray wood(before being hung)then run both coats of finish(brush and roll), let them hang wood. Then brush on final coat of oil on the base and casings.And by the way this customer wants the wood caulked in and nail holes puttied. I've painted many houses, but mostly commercial work. I just thought i would see what evryone else thinks. Thanks

·
sprayer48
69 Posts
hey jltpainter,
That sounds right what you said...

mask windows, spray and back roll primer.
spray and back roll the ceilings and closets.
paint the trim as you said.
meanwhile get some door hinge covers and door brackets at S.W.
-these will speed up the spraying of the doors.
after trim is installed, paint all trim.
paint walls.

good luck

mark:clap:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i bid this job on doing it like i had said, but i just thought w/all the painters thats on here, i would get some different feed back. I know i'm not perfect and always open to new ideas or better faster ways of doing things.
And thanks for the input Sprayer 48, So what your saying is after wood is hung caulk and fill nail holes,apply last finish coat on the wood ,then run final coat on walls?

·
sprayer48
69 Posts
jt.
there are a thousand different ways to do something in construction and no one is the right way. its whatever suits you.
I used to paint the walls before the trim. The trim carpenters would mess up so much of the walls installing the base and casing, that I figured that it really does not matter for me.
mark:party:

·
Nepster
171 Posts
I like to have the trim guys in before me. Spray primer on ceilings, walls and trim then caulk and nail fill. Spray the ceilings and cut and roll the walls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts