Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the situation from A to Z. We are painting a flip house it has knock down texture and we are using a airless sprayer. I bought it at Harbor freight and it had really good reviews. I know harbor freight sucks. But any ways I have done tons of all rolling jobs and they always look great. But this spraying has me baffled. Im doing pretty much everything to spec and we are getting faint lines. The paint is valspar 2000 eggshell which is a beutiful paint and I have used it hundreds of times we are using a 515 tip and setting should be around 2000psi. Now while we are working we have a heater running and the house stays warm during the day at night there is no heat and gets pretty chilly. It appears its taking a while to cure. But I was just wondering if there are anything that would cause or prevent the lines.

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
Ok here is the situation from A to Z. We are painting a flip house it has knock down texture and we are using a airless sprayer. I bought it at Harbor freight and it had really good reviews. I know harbor freight sucks. But any ways I have done tons of all rolling jobs and they always look great. But this spraying has me baffled. Im doing pretty much everything to spec and we are getting faint lines. The paint is valspar 2000 eggshell which is a beutiful paint and I have used it hundreds of times we are using a 515 tip and setting should be around 2000psi. Now while we are working we have a heater running and the house stays warm during the day at night there is no heat and gets pretty chilly. It appears its taking a while to cure. But I was just wondering if there are anything that would cause or prevent the lines.
Spray the first coat up and down then the second coat horizontally. What type of heater are you using? Maybe add a couple of work fans to get the air circulating better.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
If your work was back rolled properly there will be no spray lines. The roller only goes down to keep the stipple the same direction. A subtle difference but soo much better than your typical home depot behr paint and primer in one stipple you can free climb with chalk and climbing shoes paint job.

Or you can blow and go. All flat paint on walls and ceilings enough pressure to get a good fan. Back away from the wall maybe 14 inches. Spray 50/50 the gun should be pointing directly at the edge of the previous column. Spray it heavy paints cheap time is expensive.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Experimenting lately, I have come to this conclusion:

Your roller is dry. Either you are swinging too fast (not putting enough paint on walls), or you started with a dry roller.

My last 2 jobs I started with a dry roller. Bad idea. I thought if i put it on runny and soupy on the first wall that would "prime" the roller. Nope.

Still had to slow my swing back down.

Typically, I'll remove tip and spray half pan of paint. That way I can wet the roller.

Weird how that works, but it does.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
driftweed you might have nailed it on the head. We did start with a dry roller and and only use the ceiling to wet it. and maybe im starting to think my sweep action might be to fast.....When back rolling do you put paint on the roller alot or just the first part off the job.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I find you play it by ear. The backroller should control the speed of the sprayman.

Start with a wet roller from pan. After that if you notice striping again tell the sprayman to slow down.

My backroller will yell "too dry" & I wil saturate a section for him to bring it back to the dry area. He will also yell "too wet" if he thinks its too wet. By the end of the first room you should have your speed dialed in.

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
so your not supposed to put your second coat on the same direction as the first
When spraying I try not to go in the same direction as the first coat. But when I backroll, it's mostly up and down. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
went back and put a quick roll coat over everything...In my opinion the sprayer is only good for primer and maybe a first coat..but im sure it made it go a little faster...IMO rolling trumps spraying:clap:

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Imagine never refilling your tray. That's where it speeds things up. No more pushing around a 5 gal bucket if you roll outta that.

Don't give up on the sprayer because of one bad experience. It a whole new world.

Kinda like when you start using an 18" roller.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Did a remodel on a flip, no furniture, no carpet, everything painted white, perfect set up for a new sprayer. When I got done it looked like the fog had rolled in. The only thing on me that wasn't painted was around my eyes because I had glasses on. Let tell you I put that thing in the garage not to be used again. Then 3 or 4 years later we were working on a kitchen after a fire, the drywall had been removed and we were sealing the stud cavities for smoke odor. It was taking forever. The guy working for me said if we had a sprayer we could be done. I told him I had one home in the garage, after he stopped yelling (about 10 minutes) and settled down we went and got it. And I have never looked back after being taught how to use it.
I have never used a Harbor Freight sprayer and never will. There are some things that you shouldn't cheap out on and if you are going to paint I feel paint, brushes, roller covers, and sprayers are high on the list.
I don't know if your problem is the sprayer, the tip (HF I can't imagine it being a good one) or your technique. I would suggest going to a store that sells large appliances and get some big cardboard boxes. Then go to depot or lowes and get some mis-tinted paint, it's cheap. Then practice, practice, and practice.
I'm not sure from your post if you mean the sprayer is leaving what is called tails, in other words if you spray 1 time down the wall there are lines on the sides of the swath. If that is the case then not enough pressure. If you mean between swaths then you need to overlap more, about 50%. I am not sure I am correct but if I remember right that Valspar recommends a 517 tip. Look on the can it will tell you for sure.
Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts