Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum malarky but i hope someone out there can help me,
what im looking for is a uk supplier of sprayfoam equipment i know i need a heater some air driven pumps (for the two chemicals),hoses and of course the spray gun, if anyone knows otherwise please correct me! But dont know any brand names/suppliers or any items not mentioned above? (infact i dont know much about it at all :cry: ) oh and can you buy all the equipment needed as a job lot?
Please feel free to e-mail me
cheers :Thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
what im looking for is a uk supplier of sprayfoam equipment i know i need a heater some air driven pumps (for the two chemicals),hoses and of course the spray gun, if anyone knows otherwise please correct me
if only it were that simple...well then everyone would be doing it.

oh and can you buy all the equipment needed as a job lot?
if your client doesn't mind tacking on an additional $50,000-$ 70,000.

If you think you can go out and buy a rig and start spraying foam...you will be in for a long and tough road. The demand for the product is there, but take your time and do your research. The equipment is extreemly tempermental. The "proportioning machine" used to pump, heat and mix the chemicals is extreemly complex with many, many, many hydrolic, electical and heating elements. This machine w/ necessary heated hose (approx. 250') alone is about $26,000 for a good set up. (The hoses can run from $1000 to $2000 per 50'). Toss in a 40 kw generator at $13-14000, an 71/2 horsepower air compressor w/ air dryer @ $3,500, gun to spray with @ $1,700 (u really should have two), electrical breaker box and wiring @ about $2500, top it all off with a 20' trailer to haul it in @ $10,000 and you have yourself a nice rig to spray with. Now you need a heavy duty pickup truck to haul the trailer, F-350 used @ $20,000 should suffice. Oh ya...did i forget to mention that someone need to build it for you if you don't feel like it...add $2,500-$5,000.

You now have a rig ready to spray foam...problem is...u dont know how. And if you think pulling the trigger is the simple answer, you are saddly mistaken. You are using a plural componant machine. This means you are taken two different chemicals, heating them to very specific temperatures, keeping them at that temperatures in the hose, then mixing them in the gun and spraying them onto the surface to be insulated. So many things can go wrong. If for some unknow reason, one side of the machine drops in pressure, and it happens, then this causes a crossover of chemicals which causes a mixing of them where it is not supposed to mix...in the hose...resulting in foam in your hose...if it only made it 50' or less...it only cost you $1000 to $2000 dollars to replace that hose. Not to mention you now have to disassemble your gun and all its million parts, and clean it by hand. And that is only one undesirable scenario. Getting the picture yet?

I have spent the last 6 months researching this exact topic. I am in the process of not only buying the equipment, but joining a sprayfoam dealership as well. I have been to two training seminars, polyurea applicators and gusmer's sprayfoam mechanics class. I have spent over $5,000 on these two training seminars and it was worth every penny. I will be attending a third training seminar that will last 4 days for bidding and sprayfoam application. This one will cost me nothing, unless you are counting the $15,000 it will cost me to join the dealership. Take my advice...if you are serious about this, and you have the cash or good credit to get into it, research it...u can start here:
http://www.sprayfoam.com/
and here:
http://www.gusmer.com/

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You also need a market. I have looked into this as well and the market that exsists here is marginal and does not justify the expenditure at the present time in my area. The company that had the monopoly on 4 county's has gone out of business.
This is new technology, it's expensive and may be more appealing as fuel prices continue to march forward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
snuffy said:
if only it were that simple...well then everyone would be doing it.

if your client doesn't mind tacking on an additional $50,000-$ 70,000.

If you think you can go out and buy a rig and start spraying foam...you will be in for a long and tough road. The demand for the product is there, but take your time and do your research. The equipment is extreemly tempermental. The "proportioning machine" used to pump, heat and mix the chemicals is extreemly complex with many, many, many hydrolic, electical and heating elements. This machine w/ necessary heated hose (approx. 250') alone is about $26,000 for a good set up. (The hoses can run from $1000 to $2000 per 50'). Toss in a 40 kw generator at $13-14000, an 71/2 horsepower air compressor w/ air dryer @ $3,500, gun to spray with @ $1,700 (u really should have two), electrical breaker box and wiring @ about $2500, top it all off with a 20' trailer to haul it in @ $10,000 and you have yourself a nice rig to spray with. Now you need a heavy duty pickup truck to haul the trailer, F-350 used @ $20,000 should suffice. Oh ya...did i forget to mention that someone need to build it for you if you don't feel like it...add $2,500-$5,000.

You now have a rig ready to spray foam...problem is...u dont know how. And if you think pulling the trigger is the simple answer, you are saddly mistaken. You are using a plural componant machine. This means you are taken two different chemicals, heating them to very specific temperatures, keeping them at that temperatures in the hose, then mixing them in the gun and spraying them onto the surface to be insulated. So many things can go wrong. If for some unknow reason, one side of the machine drops in pressure, and it happens, then this causes a crossover of chemicals which causes a mixing of them where it is not supposed to mix...in the hose...resulting in foam in your hose...if it only made it 50' or less...it only cost you $1000 to $2000 dollars to replace that hose. Not to mention you now have to disassemble your gun and all its million parts, and clean it by hand. And that is only one undesirable scenario. Getting the picture yet?

I have spent the last 6 months researching this exact topic. I am in the process of not only buying the equipment, but joining a sprayfoam dealership as well. I have been to two training seminars, polyurea applicators and gusmer's sprayfoam mechanics class. I have spent over $5,000 on these two training seminars and it was worth every penny. I will be attending a third training seminar that will last 4 days for bidding and sprayfoam application. This one will cost me nothing, unless you are counting the $15,000 it will cost me to join the dealership. Take my advice...if you are serious about this, and you have the cash or good credit to get into it, research it...u can start here:
http://www.sprayfoam.com/
and here:
http://www.gusmer.com/
Thank you as your reply has been a lot of help infact your reply has more
info than ive been able to research! by trade im a joiner fitting out narrow boats, we use some really rather unskilled paint sprayers who seem to have got hold of the mentioned equipment to insulate the boats so ive been asked by a workmate to get some info on this setup he seems serious knows it wont be cheap but i will pass the info on thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chimp said:
Thank you as your reply has been a lot of help infact your reply has more
info than ive been able to research! by trade im a joiner fitting out narrow boats, we use some really rather unskilled paint sprayers who seem to have got hold of the mentioned equipment to insulate the boats so ive been asked by a workmate to get some info on this setup he seems serious knows it wont be cheap but i will pass the info on thanks again
you can e-mail me @ [email protected] if you have any further questions and I will try and point you in the right direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts