Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an old Italian HVLP I run off my shop compressor. It still works, but I can't get parts anymore so I will need to upgrade at some point. I use it for mostly clear finishes with some paint for cabinets/built-ins.

Now for my dilemma. I have a couple of exterior paint jobs coming up. One is a full house repaint I am doing for a good customer after the painter (a friend of their family supposedly) who bid the job and never called back. The other one is to paint a few hundred sf of siding after I rework a wall for a patio door and bigger windows. If I rent a sprayer for these exterior jobs, it will cost about $100/day or $400/week, so around $500 for both jobs total.

Do those of you who do inside and outside work have a sprayer for each or is there a rig that can handle both fine finishes with some occasional exterior work? I don't want to drop $500 on a rental if I can put that money towards a good set-up to fit my needs. I have used an airless in the past for exteriors and some interior walls, but not cabinets. I love my HVLP for the cabinet finishes, but would be open to something else if that would be the best way to go. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
Carpenter
260 Posts
I've used the Graco GX19 airless for cabinets, but wouldn't recommend it for exteriors. It's not designed for that but it does work well on interior trim. Can't you just add the cost of the rental into the quote, or do you plan on spraying more exteriors in the future?

Keep in mind I don't paint exteriors so my opinion is worth exactly what you just paid for it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not so much the rental cost as an issue, but rather putting that money towards a sprayer that would be for mainly fine finish and could handle the occasional exterior job. I typically don't do exterior painting, but it happens sometimes. I don't know if such a set-up exists which is why I'm asking,

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I have some high end finishing equipment for trim and cabinets.
I also have a graco x5 from Home Depot that does a good job on less demanding projects, like exteriors. It doesn't have the long term durability required for a full time painter, but it does fine for the dude who uses it once in a while. Its set up to feed out of 1 gal cans though, so if you have a big exterior, might have to marty something up.

If you want to step up from that, hit up the paint store and get their basic sprayer. Its a 795 or something like that. Bout a thousand bucks or so.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That x5 was a direction I was originally thinking of going and had actually looked at that model. I looks like I will have to look around at a sprayer in that price range or a bit higher, then focus on something much better for fine finish.

·
Registered
764 Posts
For a once and a while house paint I would get the x5, then get one that’s better for fine finishing for the cabinet work.

I had an x5 for about 10 years before it started leaking. Painted an average of a couple houses a year with it. Worked well enough I bought another one to replace it.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
6,031 Posts
There's a wide variety of tips that will work on airless sprayers. You can paint with say a 517 to spray latex, then clean up good & switch to a fine finish tip. I've sprayed poly with fine finish tips out of my titan 440i with good results. FF tips aren't going to spray heavy viscosity materials well, you're going to need to thin them.

Here's a video that gives a fair explanation.

·
Focusing on solutions.
6,031 Posts
That x5 was a direction I was originally thinking of going and had actually looked at that model. I looks like I will have to look around at a sprayer in that price range or a bit higher, then focus on something much better for fine finish.

When you say fine finish, what materials are you talking about?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I have the newer Graco HVLP for clear finishes, and have no complaints.

I have an X5, the graco hvlp, and a GX19.

If you want to spend more, I've heard great things about air assisted airless machines. I had been considering one of those, but quit doing that kind of work.

Hopefully somebody can chime in about the benefits of an AAA setup.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think it is better to have a good quality hvlp for cabinets and other fine finish work and then have an airless for the interior / exterior work.
Budget will be a factor.
I would think an electric Graco 390 or 395 would be good for the odd house interior / exterior job, it will spray latex products, single hose up to about 100’.
Bigger sprayers run multiple hoses, longer hoses and heavier products.

There are air assisted airless sprayers that do the best of both but I am unfamiliar, and expensive so not exactly for occasional use.
hope this helps some.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so the consensus is two different set-ups for fine finish vs. just spraying some paint on siding, etc. and that makes sense. My immediate need is for something to do some exterior work. I don't want a piece of crap but then again $1000 for a Graco 390, while certainly a quality sprayer for what it does, is probably much more than I will ever need. I see there is a ProX line which seems to be the step above the X line and a step below something like the 390. Does anyone know much about those sprayers?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Those Titan 440 Impacts are workhorses for airless. Just clean them right after use and take care of it and they will last. Talk to your paint prep or shop online for a nice used one. I wouldn't buy HVLP used but airless is different.

·
Focusing on solutions.
6,031 Posts
Those Titan 440 Impacts are workhorses for airless. Just clean them right after use and take care of it and they will last. Talk to your paint prep or shop online for a nice used one. I wouldn't buy HVLP used but airless is different.

I keep packings in shop for my titans. They take about 30 minutes to repack on the occasion you need to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts