Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know I pretty much only work in restaurants, and I do a lot of painting, tile, general maint. work, I generally pick thinks up pretty quick, but I also am very careful about experimenting with customers

I've never done any texture spraying only a little paint spraying. I have a guy who wants me to tex. a few bathrooms in a hotel.

The bathrooms are not large typical bathroom like in a hotel six, or a comfort inn.

He's looking for a orange peel look

Questions,
If I buy some drywall and practice for a bit is it hard to learn?

Are the smaller rooms harder than a larger room?

Are there any on line training type materials (Videos)

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to try the "texture in a can" stuff out on something small first.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I'm not bad on a hopper, but I make a pure mess trying to use that can stuff. And there isn't enough in a can to do much with. Especially for $12.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There is plenty of "how to" web sites. Texture isnt that technical. If you buy your own texture equipment and experiment with the variables you can manage it. I use a simple air delivery system...hopper with a decent air compressor (they use alot of air)

mask everything
mix your mud consistantly
work backwards so you arent messing up the wals you already did
take advil when you are done

Oh and forget the "hand pumped" type texture machines unless you are doing small jobs like repairs etc.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I'm not bad on a hopper, but I make a pure mess trying to use that can stuff. And there isn't enough in a can to do much with. Especially for $12.
I use the cans all the time for repairs and patching.Makes no sense to bust out the hopper and compressor to texture a small patch.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
As some of you may know I pretty much only work in restaurants, and I do a lot of painting, tile, general maint. work, I generally pick thinks up pretty quick, but I also am very careful about experimenting with customers

I've never done any texture spraying only a little paint spraying. I have a guy who wants me to tex. a few bathrooms in a hotel.

The bathrooms are not large typical bathroom like in a hotel six, or a comfort inn.

He's looking for a orange peel look

Questions,
If I buy some drywall and practice for a bit is it hard to learn?

Are the smaller rooms harder than a larger room?

Are there any on line training type materials (Videos)
IMO texturing is dick to learn. I don’t know if I would use upshot as JJ suggested.

It seemed like a good thought on the surface but I SUCK at it. And with the cost of cans I couldn’t afford to train.

YES to small areas are harder but not by much once you get the hang of it.

I have used cans, hoppers and machines. IMO for a small job I would buy a hopper for about $70 at a box store like HD. Renting a machine and cleaning it wouldn’t be worth the cost and then you have a hopper for future use.

I have textured whole house ceilings for investors with the hopper and a 4 gal compressor with no prob. I PREFER the machine MUCH easier but if it’s not your new line of income the $600 ( I think for the smallest ones) isn’t worth it.

Check you tube for the videos. SEEMS they have EVERYTHING on there.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a guy who wants me to tex. a few bathrooms in a hotel.
It wouldn't hurt to try the "texture in a can" stuff out on something small first.

a few bathrooms with texture in a can...ya right. I guess he could try it so he would know how many ways WON'T work on whole walls.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
a few bathrooms with texture in a can...ya right. I guess he could try it so he would know how many ways WON'T work on whole walls.
Are you people dense?I was not recommending him to do a bathroom with the can stuff.He said...
"Questions,
If I buy some drywall and practice for a bit is it hard to learn?"

I meant he could practice with it to get the feel of how the stuff goes on the wall....Sheesh...

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Well, my point was that, one, the "feel" of the application from a can is nothing like a hopper... and two, you do not get the same sense of the massive flood that can sometimes come out of a hopper when playing with a can. Obviously he is not going to try to do bathrooms with a can that can barely cover a four square foot area.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Well, my point was that, one, the "feel" of the application from a can is nothing like a hopper... and two, you do not get the same sense of the massive flood that can sometimes come out of a hopper when playing with a can. Obviously he is not going to try to do bathrooms with a can that can barely cover a four square foot area.
Understood...And I'm not the poster boy for can texture but they will do a LOT more than four sq.ft...The big ones will do 75 sq.ft. +/- depending on coverage.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have actually textured small areas using a Wagner one quart electric sprayer with slightly reamed out tip. Stops the "hopper Slop out" that is ever present in a small space.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I have actually textured small areas using a Wagner one quart electric sprayer with slightly reamed out tip. Stops the "hopper Slop out" that is ever present in a small space.
THAT is the reason guy's always have white shoes, whether they want them or not:laughing:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These bathrooms are small, and I;m not going to get more than 2 to 4 at a time.
Has anyone used the Wagner tenure machine. I din;t want to soend more time cleaning the machine than I do using it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have a small hopper I've used with some success.

Just lean a piece of sheetrock up against a garage or something and practice. Clean it off with a knife or something and try, try, try again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've tried those upshot cans as well. Freakin' mess and a waste of time imo.

The job I'm on now, I just mixed up some loose mud and rolled it on the ceiling. Went back over it lightly with a texture roller and it came out great. Not orange peel, but a nice finish, more like somewhere between knockdown and popcorn.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
the product that comes from the can is SOOOO thin and it is NOT what you want to use. Get some cardboard and rent a sprayer and figure it out. Take a whole day to try different things out. I remember my first couple applications (thank god it was at an apartment complex) looked kinda bad. BUT I learned a lot and having painted/repaired close to 800 units over the last 4 yrs has taught me some tricks.. but very hard to explain in written text. Good luck and don't be afraid of it. Also get one of those big flexable knockdown knives for knockdown texture. Stiff knives are ok but those are better. Go to a drywall supply store and they can fix you up :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've tried those upshot cans as well. Freakin' mess and a waste of time imo.

The job I'm on now, I just mixed up some loose mud and rolled it on the ceiling. Went back over it lightly with a texture roller and it came out great. Not orange peel, but a nice finish, more like somewhere between knockdown and popcorn.
I used stippling compound and a texured roller on a job. I STILL have white specks on my shirt. That WAS OVER 5 years ago.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a small hopper I've used with some success.

Just lean a piece of sheetrock up against a garage or something and practice. Clean it off with a knife or something and try, try, try again.
Along with his idea once you get comfie using it, hang it in your garage or something so you get used to shotting up and the "slop" NOT coming out.

If you get one with the elbow the slop isn't so much a factor.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Buy a hopper and experiment using watered down sheetrock mud, you'll get a feel for it. You'll get the right air pressure, watered downness and orfice size. No substitution for a little experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts