Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

Just thought I would come and ask a couple of questions to you guys who have been spray painting for years in the US, UK residential spraying is quite new and not many people use them.

I've just imported myself a Titan 440i sprayer from the US ( Huge saving on UK costs :Thumbs: )

My main line of work is new build, (yeah I know its crap work but someone's got to do it) so I'm using the sprayer to mist coat walls before carpentry/plumbing/electrical 2nd fix.
Then when its our few days to decorate I'll spray ceilings 2 coats in 1 cross hatch style.

Now at the moment that's all I use it for, what I want to know is can I use this sprayer to spray doors, frames, and stairs or is it not the right sprayer for fine work?

If I can use it what sort of tip size will I need to use, the undercoat we use is an acrylic primer/undercoat which is real thick.

Cheers.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
I would say if you want to spray things like trim and crown and the like, talk it over with the carpenter and get it all before it is installed. We did this on a new construction job recently. Convinced the GC to order all the lumber a few days before he wanted it installed. Then we just set up a impromptu spray booth in the basement, and lined it all up side by side.

If I had to paint it all after it was up I would choose to brush it. Your only other option is to mask everything and that isn't a very good use of time in my opinion.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Drips&runs_UK said:
Hi Guys.

Just thought I would come and ask a couple of questions to you guys who have been spray painting for years in the US, UK residential spraying is quite new and not many people use them.

I've just imported myself a Titan 440i sprayer from the US ( Huge saving on UK costs :Thumbs: )

My main line of work is new build, (yeah I know its crap work but someone's got to do it) so I'm using the sprayer to mist coat walls before carpentry/plumbing/electrical 2nd fix.
Then when its our few days to decorate I'll spray ceilings 2 coats in 1 cross hatch style.

Now at the moment that's all I use it for, what I want to know is can I use this sprayer to spray doors, frames, and stairs or is it not the right sprayer for fine work?

If I can use it what sort of tip size will I need to use, the undercoat we use is an acrylic primer/undercoat which is real thick.

Cheers.
There's a thread running around this forum somewhere that goes into detail about what you are speaking of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The idea of spraying doors and spindles before fitting would work if the build schedule wasn't so tight on time, and the carpenters were actually carpenters not butchers ;)

I think I'll just have to order half a dozen different tips and see what ones work best for the paint I'm using, something like a 219, 319, 217 and a couple of my favourite size 519.

I know one thing, I'll never go back to rolling ceilings with a 15" again on site, work smarter not harder. :Thumbs:

Attachments

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Wow, sounds like every new construction in the world is close to the same. :cheesygri

agreed. I've got to get out of my best case senario state of mind and start realizing that most cases are the worst.

·
Registered
425 Posts
proper tip sizes...

the more you use it the better you will get at choosing tips .There is a company that will mail us (in the U.S.) spray tips for right around 17.00 u.s. dollars (not a bad price and they seem to be lasting longer then gracos tips its called tritech webpage is...paintersupplydirect.com I prefer to spray my stuff when its done and up such as crown or doors on crown I would use a 411 tip and run some 12 inch or 6 inch round the walls before you start. door jambs are a bit tougher because of all the different angles be careful and think before you pull the trigger doors...slab doors stick with the 519 . panel doors use a 517 or there is a company that makes these things that screw onto the tops and bottoms of doors so they stack called doordeckers, they work well only drawback is ya need two people to move doors.any questions feel free to contact me on yahoo instant messenger ...painterofeverything Good luck training those chippies to a new system!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts