Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have many articles on it in my files. It appears to be up and coming, probably more so as fuel prices rise. I have been considering adding it to my arsenal of services. I like everthing that I have read about it.
Your question was not very specific.
I now look back, are you talking about the canned stuff? If so why are you here?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My experience with spray foam relates to flotation in boats. The equipment looks the same. I fail to understand why time would be a factor as cleaning the gun take nearly as long as the application.
If I am wrong, enlighten me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hmmm i have thought of that process before, what type of equip do you need and what kinda cost factors are involved? what kinda R value does it give per sq inch? or where can i find out more info on it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Equipment is expensive and a pain in the a** to keep running, but it does work. You need a machine, air compressor, maybe a generator and a truck or trailer to transport everything. 12K minimum and up, not counting any product. Personnel will need to go to school to learn process and to obtain manufacturers warranties. Foam does have some real neat applications that they don't talk about, ie you can secure the ends of floor joists that lay in an I beam. Great waterproofing material around the bottom of metal buildings and grain bins. Building radius for transitions on flat roofs.

As a rule of thumb 1" of foam has an R value of 7.5 to 8.

This is a great company to work with,
www.ersystems.com

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Crank, The equipment used for doing the insulation is the same equipment for installing SPF (Sprayed Foam) roofing. Roofing Contractor magazine estimates 100k for a completely new rig including everything you mentioned and more, likes hoses etc...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hell Grumpy, I'm a poor man with poor ways. LOL Basically everone I knew went broke spraying foam, so sometimes I feel like I'm makeing buggy whips. Yea, if you went out sailor drunk and bought the biggest machines, new truck, 75K generator, etc it could come close. Greyco was working on a system that was reasonable, but I don't know if they have gone into production yet. Our old machine had 300' of wrapped & heated hose and weighed a ton. Used only 55 gal barrels. New machine is on a small 4 wheel wagon and is less than 500# and 100' of heated hose. Uses 5 gal to 55gal barrels. I can set this unit on most of the roofs with our 110' pole crane. Keep in mind we only do EDPM flat roofs, even though I have sparyed some complete roofs. This size machine works great for us and the way we use it. If I was going to SPF exclusively I would go back to a bigger machine.

U

·
0 Posts
Very Expensive

I just had my 6000 ft new construction quoted and it was $$$$14K. This included some slope and under roof sheathing.

Cellulose with traditional blown attic to R38 is rinung $4500 installed. NO way I can justify.

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
about spray foam

hmmm i have thought of that process before, what type of equip do you need and what kinda cost factors are involved? what kinda R value does it give per sq inch? or where can i find out more info on it
my dad has been spraying foam on roofs now for almost 30 years. we have been in business for our selves for about 3. to apply one inch of foam with 30 mills of coating and granuels to protect the foam it runs from $1.55 to $2.00 per square foot. the r value in an r7 per inch applied. we have applied up to 10 inches for those that wish for that kind of insulation. we are out of apache junction az. If u have any questions just call gary at 480 316 2504

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's good stuff.....I've been bite'n my lip over buying a set-up for the last ten years.....Once I do the feasbility study...it just doesn't work out....

Problem is/are;

It's a hard sell to homebuilder's.....
and
There's too many guys doing it now....

·
Service Contractor
26 Posts
I just got a ballpark quote over the phone last friday to do me new shop 36 x 42 w/12' ceilings walls & roof complete was over 8G little costly but I have been running the savings numbers a feel I can recoupe the cost in A/C power in a little over 5 years (I live in FL & am tired of working in the HOT shop in the summer). I will have them come and give an exact price next month.....have to save a little more money. Cost about $2.00 sq' he said

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can Foam roofing be used on parapit walls and then meet up with a modifed roof? Recently we had a Modfied roof put on a a roof that is about 40,000 sqf. and now we are finding the brick on the parpit wall is taking water and getting behind the flashing. Since we just spent the money on the mofied roof we don't want replace the enitre roof but the price to rebuild the brick and repair the Modifed is almost half of what the roof cost. can you ask your father about this application instead of rebuilding the brick and just spray a heavy coat of foam up the parapit and then meet the modifed?

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used Icynene spray foam insulation in a few jobs recently. It's expensive - about 4 times fiberglass insulation, by my calculations. But and it's a big but, you can't beat it for insulating irregular spaces. Was contractor for a church that used a Deltec - round - building. Trusses run radially from center, so it would have been just about impossible to insulate with batts. Foam was sprayed by sub with no problems. Lots of trash and clean up to dispose of at end, though. Major selling point seems to be creation of sealed envelope. That is a good way to stop air infiltration but at a pretty high cost. A few boxes of caulk would probably do the same thing. I still use batt insulation in common frame construction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try E:zero Spray Foam Solution

Yes. I've been using this product called:
E:zero E:500 open-cell Spray Foam

It's been working out really well. Here's a link to their website to learn more:
ezerosolutions.com

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
I have used the closed cell insulation by foam it green and was very impressed by the results, it is amazing how tuff the stuff is along with the sealing aspect are well worth the investment if you can justify the cost. One thing I have been doing is spraying 1-2" thick (closed cell) to act as a sealer then apply batt insulation to fill up the rest of the cavity.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've considered spray foam for roofing, however I'm no scientist and the setup costs are incredible.
I seen many spray foam roofs. Once you get it down and have the tools in is very simple to do. However when they leak.... wow! do they leak they are like a sponge. You can step on a blister and squirt water up to your eyes. That is no joke

1 - 20 of 38 Posts