Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to spray the crawl space on my pier and beam house. One foam guy is telling me I should only do closed cell because of moisture and mold. The other guy, who just sprayed my brother in laws doctor office which was new construction, and had 9 inches of open cell sprayed in the crawl space says there is no problem with that.

Being that closed cell is alot more expensive, I was wondering if anyone had some advise on the matter.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Interesting topic. I've read a lot about this subject regarding underslab insulation for slab on grade type homes. The answer in that situation is that either works given the right PSI ratings. In your situation your really just trying to achieve a certain R value, so if you can get there quicker with less closed cell, then you've got to run the numbers.

I haven't heard of mold issues specifically relating to either type of foam unless there is a building envelope issue already present.

ps. Look into moisture permeability ratings of each. It seems like if you can moisture proof with closed cell at the same time you'll be ahead of the game.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SLSTech said:
If moisture maybe an issue - closed cell it is Crawl spaces are basically always a given for Closed Cell
I've always agreed with that until this insulation contractor, who has a very reputable company in Dallas told me otherwise. That's why I was asking.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Patsfanindallas said:
I've always agreed with that until this insulation contractor, who has a very reputable company in Dallas told me otherwise. That's why I was asking.
Since he is in Dallas then, who's material does he use then? There is two large foam suppliers in Dallas and truth be told, I would only trust one of them. There is a lot of people out there that will say anything to take your money and then there gone. I would go with the closed cell foam in a crawl space for sure. You get better air sealing and R value with less thickness.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would never recommend open cell in a crawlspace. I am not a big fan of the open cell product in any circumstances, but it does serve its purpose and that is not one of them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly what I thought. I can't figure out why he's recommending that. He was saying how the closed cell is the same as open cell except for the skin barrier on the exterior of it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well that shows he doesn't know squat about foam then. Did he mention who's foam he installs?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Since your in Dallas, you have one of best spray foam manufacture in the world right there in Rowlett. www.specialty-products.com

Give them a call and talk to Scott James. He can get you in touch with some qualified locals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with the above posters. Closed cell is definitely a better choice for crawl spaces. Generally we are only using open cell in new construction applications when we have a 2x6 wall system. Open cell offers lowers cost per inch but one has to apply a lot more of it to achieve the what closed cell does. Open cell can retain some moisture which could be a concern in a crawlspace. Check us out at www.montanafoam.com

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I know for a fact that most spray foam contractors will try to push what ever product they are trying to get rid of . There is a shelf life with this product and they don't want to eat it .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts