Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to move a microwave off a back splash and repair the tile.
Owner couldn't find original 3x3 so he found 3x6. I cut them and cleaned the edges. The problem is that the tile is thicker and without thinset it's perfect. It's all diagonally fitted so unless I make a real thin bond it's gonna be lumpy which lead me to the idea of a spray adhesive with a little set time to finagle.

Then I could grout it and get out too.

Thoughts? I see pros and cons here. Interested in hearing more.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
38,954 Posts
Owner couldn't find original 3x3 so he found 3x6. I cut them and cleaned the edges. The problem is that the tile is thicker and without thinset it's perfect. It's all diagonally fitted so unless I make a real thin bond it's gonna be lumpy which lead me to the idea of a spray adhesive with a little set time to finagle.

I dunno....
I've seen a fireplace surround done with hot glue and it held without issue. "Smoosh" it down well.

·
Registered
Custom
15,529 Posts

I was going to suggest 3M-90... spray wall and back of tile, wait until you can touch without transfer to your finger (couple of minutes), and place... but that SprayLock that Kowboy linked to allows for moving up to an hour, so I can see a benefit in that... 3M-90 is an industrial adhesive, and is a very strong bond and it gives you maybe 10 minutes to play with but is instant contact so be conscious when placing tile...

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,736 Posts
Mike haven't seen you in a while. I still owe you a shirt size for my swag but it's too many characters, can't fit it in a direct message.

How's the podcast? One of the members here is going up to AK. Maybe you guys could do a special episode. I only ask 10%. I won't call him out directly.

Reactions: A&E Exteriors

·
Registered
Builder/Podcaster
36 Posts
Mike haven't seen you in a while. I still owe you a shirt size for my swag but it's too many characters, can't fit it in a direct message.

How's the podcast? One of the members here is going up to AK. Maybe you guys could do a special episode. I only ask 10%. I won't call him out directly.

Hey Reggi,

Too many characters, lol.

The podcast is rocking and about top start Season 3 with Jake Bruton as my guest.

Hey, 10% of nothin is still nothin! lol

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Are you using the basic glue stick Like you can get at Home Depot? I thought I saw once that you can buy a hot glue gun and glue sticks for use on wall tile.

·
Registered
15,263 Posts
Are you using the basic glue stick Like you can get at Home Depot? I thought I saw once that you can buy a hot glue gun and glue sticks for use on wall tile.
I have the Pam Tite 220 gun, they are now owned by Fasten Master.

Tom

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
554 Posts
Realistically, the grout would probably hold the single piece of tile just fine without much adhesive.
If it's just the one piece I would use Loctite PL MAX.
When in doubt, one of the PL offerings will hold just about anything.
We will use the leftover PL400 from the subfloor on just about anything.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
67,201 Posts
Silicone. The stick effect by itself is enough to hold it. And then in 2 hours it dries and it's there for a long time.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Yep. Anything will hold it. I've pulled tile held with anything. It had been there for 40 years or more.

You're not worried about water, so just stick it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I also have a Pamfast Fastenmaster glue gun and took that route. The make two types, one for wood, one for masonry.

This application was a tad funny because I had to blend into the existing which was not uniformly spaced or aligned. Being on a diagonal the hot melt sets up fairly quickly so you can veer off worse if your not careful. If it were thinset you can place a bunch then slide around to tweak them. A couple of inlaid mosaics I used a rapid thinset just to build it out a little.

It came out great and looks like it was always there which is the goal for things like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts