Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i followed up on a call back for a bath reno we finished 3 weeks ago. one of the last things we do getting out of a bath job is clean everything up, and put in the glass & mirrors. i remember in the morning thinking to myself that i know i have a full tube of silicone in the basement... anyone catching on?

so i go there and look at the tub and there is smudges of silicone ALL OVER from her trying to clean... i touches it and rubbed it and it was still tacky/wet! i told her i would remove all the un cured calk, clean up the tub, and re silicone everything properly.

i have never heard before now that silicone actully expires:censored: i can say that i have never read the label to see not to use after 12/08...

so i spent most of the day learning a lesson on why it's better to just buy new... spen the friggen 5 bucks!!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Funny,
Happened to me a few weeks ago caulking around a pre-fab niche for a custom shower.
I don't think it would have ever dried.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Wow! Thats good info. Is there a date on the tube? I've never noticed one. How would you know that its not old silicone that hasn't sold?

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Yeah its had an expiration date for quite a few years anyhow. I've bought more than one expired tube off the shelf before which didnt make me to happy when i got back. It tends to not be one of the first things i look for.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,096 Posts
"The stingiest person always spends the most."

·
Registered
167 Posts
I too learned the hard way :mad:. Now if I have leftover I return it (HD,Lowes) any partial tubes go right into the trash. In fact I no longer want any leftover material, just cleaned up years of leftovers,

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Some caulk doesn't like to be left in the REALLY cold outside either.

Also found out that PL expires and Hilti Chemical Anchors expire.:sad:

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some caulk doesn't like to be left in the REALLY cold outside either.

Also found out that PL expires and Hilti Chemical Anchors expire.:sad:
that's not good! now i gotta go see if my cases of solar seal expire:censored: i got a "good deal" on buying a bunch of boxes at once... maybe not such a good deal....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.