Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
I am building speed poles for block. Trying to reduce the amount of leads i have to build. I'd love to see pics of some of yours and possibly set up. It would be of great help.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
used and new scaffold materials

Anyone got some good sources for used screw jacks and new planks in the southeast area.
thanks
Todd

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I built a 32' X 32' "tank room" a couple of years ago that went over 30' tall. laid about 3,000 block with two mason and two laborer's. 4' level was used the whole way up. No problems, you would have to show me how it could have been faster with the poles. We were in the middle of a big warehouse and only structure close was the roof at about 35'.

On crawls and such I can build a lead faster than you can set and plumb a pole for the typical 4 or 5 block crawl. Maybe a basement with a bunch of offsets, the poles might come in handy.

Almost all my brick work is done with a story pole. Stock 2" aluminum square tubing is the cats meow for poles. One exception is chimney's, I usually use a 2 foot level on them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
We use poles for a lot of our block jobs now. I wouldn't want to do without them now. I'll try and take some pictures of them sometime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Speed Poles

Guys
I am building speed poles for block. Trying to reduce the amount of leads i have to build. I'd love to see pics of some of yours and possibly set up. It would be of great help.

Thanks
Todd

I built some out of 4x4 angle iron and they worked pretty good. I just took a piece of plywood and notched a hole exactly like the angle iron and screwed it to the building to hold it in place. I have some pics of it and I will try to get them uploaded sometime.

Thanks masonryworktools.com

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
why does everyone want to take the skills outta the brick trade
because in these times where everyone wants their job done now,you have to take short cuts or lose the job.
very few homeowners know the difference between a great brick job and a lousy one.yet they will hire a crew that can finish their 10000 brick job in a week and not care what it looks like.then call the quality mason to fix the f&^% ups by the bad crew.ooops im ranting there,sorry.

my point is instead of sacrificing quality,we will take short cuts.i had a customer who wanted a double batt around his window.rather than make two cuts i made a fake head joint,filled it,and laid one brick instead of two.the end result looked the same,but i saved a ton of time.

·
menber
152 Posts
because in these times where everyone wants their job done now,you have to take short cuts or lose the job.
very few homeowners know the difference between a great brick job and a lousy one.yet they will hire a crew that can finish their 10000 brick job in a week and not care what it looks like.then call the quality mason to fix the f&^% ups by the bad crew.ooops im ranting there,sorry.

my point is instead of sacrificing quality,we will take short cuts.i had a customer who wanted a double batt around his window.rather than make two cuts i made a fake head joint,filled it,and laid one brick instead of two.the end result looked the same,but i saved a ton of time.
point well taken stacker, maybe my experience with poles are limited but the times i have erected one it seems like it was just as fast to build a block lead .. guess its just the union in me.. there alot more useful on brick in my opinion expecially on bricks that likes to swim...

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I also dont know how much time a pole would save on block work. Even on Z leads, working around a pole....no way.

·
Registered
407 Posts
yeah eventually you will have whole crews where none of the bricklayers can lay up a corner.

I was in the Union for 20 years before I got my licence and they weren't used for brick or, of course, block. I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn the trade when, and where, I did.
Dave

·
Registered
909 Posts
yeah eventually you will have whole crews where none of the bricklayers can lay up a corner.

I was in the Union for 20 years before I got my licence and they weren't used for brick or, of course, block. I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn the trade when, and where, I did.
Dave
I hear you Dave, but I will say this:

As a mason, I don't appreciate speed poles.

As a contractor who gets paid buy the units installed, rather than by the hour, I certainly see the benefit of speed poles.

I built some simple poles out of 2"x2" steel several years ago, and have no regrets in using them. Without a doubt, I'm confident that we put out superior foundations by using them, as they were unquestionably more square & level than without them.

·
Superior Mason Products
2 Posts
Where is my post in reguards to "Superior Mason" and his corner pole contraption? somehow both got deleted...
Sorry, both my posts were deleted because I didn't have my account set up properly. Had to join a "manufacturing" group in order to post.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been a mason for many years and my invention has really sped up my block laying jobs.

I appreciate all the feedback I've received so far on this forum (both positive and negative). I will take them all into consideration as I press forward.

·
Registered
909 Posts
How many courses is that basement that you can get away with 8" block?? Maybe it's just our heavy soils here but 10" would even be marginal here, and 12" would be the standard.

Did you buy those braces for the poles or make them? If you purchased them, I'd be interested to know where.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
poles

I may be incorrect however, those poles and braces look like the model R or C from BON TOOL imho a great set of poles ,well worth the money.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
foundations

The size of block used in a foundation is only part of the equation. Other criteria that comes to bare is as follows. The type of soil but possibly more importantly ,the height of unbalanced fill,use of steel. The size of steel along with grade (#40 or #60) the re-bar placement schedule. The p.s.i. of grout, howmuch grout is placed,(cores containing steel only or every core) The use of pilasters,size of them along with their spaceing. The use of counterforts along with their size etc. O ne more thing type S mortar is allowed however, the B.I.A. tech notes allow type S the listed "preferred" is type M for all below grade work.

·
Registered
594 Posts
We normally use 10" block but for this one we are using 8". We will pour cells 6o.c. w/rebar and durawall. The soil is a gravel and sand mix. It is 11 courses tall and the top 16"-24" will be exposed.

The story pole braces I made but the brackets come from bon tool.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I can see where speed poles in that situation would be advantageous. I have never gotten the job for a block basement, and I have bid quite a few.

The local inspectors don't know how to spec the block reinforcement and core fill requirements, hence they guess on the high side and make block relatively uncompetitive. I have done a few small additions, but for the most part, it is all poured walls in my area.

ICF's are the other competitor and frankly I think ICF's are superior in many ways to block in colder climates.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts