Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a fan of the Spectraloc and use it almost exclusively. The only thing I don't care for is wall use with 1/4" grout lines, it has a habit of sagging. How does the Quartzlock compare for wall use. I have a bathroom / shower coming up and would like to try the Quartzlock II. I am using 3X6 Subway tiles with a 1/8" grout line, white with black trim. I am using either 2"
hexagon mosaic or the basket weave in white with black on the floor.
After watching the Quartzlock video it sure looks easier to install and I also like the thought of being able to stop and not losing the mixed product.
Thanks Dave

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
I have been a fan of the Spectraloc and use it almost exclusively. The only thing I don't care for is wall use with 1/4" grout lines, it has a habit of sagging. How does the Quartzlock compare for wall use. I have a bathroom / shower coming up and would like to try the Quartzlock II. I am using 3X6 Subway tiles with a 1/8" grout line, white with black trim. I am using either 2"
hexagon mosaic or the basket weave in white with black on the floor.
After watching the Quartzlock video it sure looks easier to install and I also like the thought of being able to stop and not losing the mixed product.
Thanks Dave
Angus just got done giving all of us some good tips and reviews on quartzlock2 in the "Spectralock" thread so read through that one... one thing that was specified is that you have to wait 7 days to use shower after grouting:thumbsup:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
I do believe QuartzLock 2 has two major benefits over SpectraLOCK.

1) There is no waste. Whatever QL2 you don't use stays in the bucket and will remain usable for 2 years when properly stored.

2) Flexibility. I have really tried using it in situation that normally will result in cracking but it just won't. I have a wall corner that received only QL2. one wall is exterior and the other is interior. If there's ever a reason grout should crack, it would be in that scenario. In almost 2 years, no cracking.

I say QL2 is every bit as stain resistant as SL, if not more. Again with my own personal testing, I have a grout joint that I routinely put cooking utensils on. From oil to sauces to coffee and no stains with 2 years.

Installing QL2 is different than any other grout. You wipe up immediately. I do no more than 4 sq ft before cleaning. That's something that takes getting used to. We're used to doing large areas or even waiting before wiping. With QL2 you can get into trouble if you wait too long. Don't let the 7 days thing fool you. If left on your float for about 20 minutes, it will become extremely hard and might not even come off.

For almost 3 years I've been using QuartzLock. The only negatives I hear are cost, availability and the 7 days before introducing water. Price & availability are not an issue to me at all. And as for the 7 days, I think that's also not as bad as it seems. In a complete bathroom reno, grout is rarely installed on the final day. Final plumbing fixtures need to be installed, glass doors, paint, etc. It usually ends up being more like a 3 day wait.

I hope to get a few more opinions from some of the other tile guys that post here. Because it's different I do expect the loyal SpectraLOCK guys to be a bit leery. However, I don't think you'll ever hear a QL2 user say it sucks.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Yeah I'll admit the no waste thing is a HUGE improvement over SL. That's been my biggest ***** since day one. I could get used to cleaning as I go, makes it easier as long as you're not constantly worried about it hardening up on your floats/tools. Do you just keep a bucket of water to drop your stuff in while you're cleaning? I'm still not thrilled about that 7 day thing....you can't make me :laughing:

Angus, I got your message. You get my pm?

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Yeah I'll admit the no waste thing is a HUGE improvement over SL. That's been my biggest ***** since day one. I could get used to cleaning as I go, makes it easier as long as you're not constantly worried about it hardening up on your floats/tools. Do you just keep a bucket of water to drop your stuff in while you're cleaning? I'm still not thrilled about that 7 day thing....you can't make me :laughing:

Angus, I got your message. You get my pm?
Yep, got the PM :thumbsup: I should be available most of the week if you want to chat.

I try to clean my float every 15 mins. A simple scrape of excess grout seems sufficient although a dip in water to wash helps a lot. I do keep one 5 gal bucket for just random cleaning including my float. For grout cleaning, I have a Raimondi grout bucket. Works great for initial clean (which is about 90%). My final clean is with a slightly damp microfiber cloth. The urethane likes to leave a "film" and the micro cleans that up nicely. This urethane film is pretty important to clean up. If you don't, once it dries getting it off will be a nightmare.

Actually, the curing of QL2 baffles me. I have left a dirty float fully submerged in water for about a half hour and the fricking QuartzLock still cured. There goes a $15 float. However, I still follow the 7 day rule. But I have taken 2 lose pieces of tile and simply grouted them together. Within 8 hours they are stuck together. If you didn't know better, you'd think QL2 cures in hours instead of days.

Another big positive of QL2 is touch-up. I have had times were the following day I see some spots that either I missed or the thinset is showing. Just dig out the section, open the bucket, smear, wipe....done! Very nice feature!!!!!

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Angus, you mentioned the microfiber pad... I have a couple of the white scrub pads w/ attached handle(don't like em but got a few to use up) will those work for the clean up? And also, a few months ago I was on a commercial job and saw a guy using burlap when cleaning tile, have you tried this or heard of it?

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
I use the epoxy-based sponge for the initial wipe:

Then I use microfiber cloths for the final:

Yes, you can use the white scrub pad. However, they are what's recommended if you accidentally have the grout dry before cleaning is finished. Trust me, you will need one if it dries on you.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Thank you Angus for the recomendation... quartz lock 2 is great and easy to work with! This will be the only grout that I will be promoting.
One thing that I found is that epoxy grout floats suck... they tear up and get friggin green junk on tile soooo I got a kobalt margin float in the concrete section, it has a white bottom, its much easier for me to work with one of those

1 - 11 of 11 Posts