Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tiling a shower and a small decrative corner v cap was backordered... I should be recieving it about the same day that I will be ready to grout. Can I use the spectralock to mount the cap while I'm grouting? I ask because I'm a Spectralock virgin:eek:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
I'm tiling a shower and a small decrative corner v cap was backordered... I should be recieving it about the same day that I will be ready to grout. Can I use the spectralock to mount the cap while I'm grouting? I ask because I'm a Spectralock virgin:eek:
No, I wouldn't. Buy some rapid set thinset and you should be ready to grout it in about 2 hours.

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
I need a new Avatar

"Thank You Jesus..."

Love it. Made me spray coffee once again.

I think this might be the real reason I check in so often - all the laughs... :clap:

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I overheard a tile guy talking about spectralock yesterday... he said that after mixing a unit he will remove half from the bucket and sit it on cardboard? And when it's on the cardboard it will not harden as quickly as it would in a bucket...
Does this sound any kinda true? Juzz wonderin...

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
The cardboard sounds bad to me. It would leech the moisture from it. However you can spread it out over a larger area to slow the cure time. Since epoxies chemically cure, atmospheric heat and chemical heat both play a part. The thicker the mass of grout is in the bucket, the quicker the chemical heat builds up and the quicker it will cure. By spreading it out you lower the amount of chemical heat and retard the cure time. We usually mix Spectralock in 5 Gal buckets instead of the small containers it comes in for just this reason.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Used up some spectralock yesterday for the first time...
Wicked stuff... got some of the chemical on my arm and it left a burn mark, while I was grouting the glove broke open...ended up grouting my wedding ring into place :D
Not sure if I like this stuff...

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
You should try QuartzLock 2 some time. Urethane based. Same, if not better stain resistance, no possible allergies, contains no BPAs, remains flexible although hardens to (compressive strength) > 3500 psi. Ultra low absorption rate and shrinkage.

Aside from a somewhat strong odor when installing, there really isn't a down side. OK, 7 days to full water immersion, cost and availability are a few possible issues. :laughing:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Is there a longer working time as well, their estimates are not very accurate
And the quartz lock, do you have to seal afterwards? I've only ever used laticrete sanded/unsanded...
QuartzLock 2 is premixed. You just give it a little stir and start spreading. If you need to stop, just close the bucket back up. The grout will remain usable for up to 2 years. There is no sealing of the grout. After 7 days, it's as bulletproof as you can get for residential applications.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Enola Eagle said:
Is there a longer working time as well, their estimates are not very accurate
And the quartz lock, do you have to seal afterwards? I've only ever used laticrete sanded/unsanded...
Laticrete is an inferior product, along with all premixed sets and grouts. We use tec brand. 3 in 1 is great set from tec. Also has new grout boost additive which leaves final product very similar to epoch group with the mess and cost.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Laticrete is an inferior product, along with all premixed sets and grouts. We use tec brand. 3 in 1 is great set from tec. Also has new grout boost additive which leaves final product very similar to epoch group with the mess and cost.

You could not be more wrong about that. Well, I suppose you could have said Mapei epoxy sucks too. :laughing:

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Enola Eagle said:
Angus, isn't tec the stuff that lowes sells to old ladies who wanna put tile in a picture frame and hang in the tea party room? Juzz wonderin... don't mess with the doctor! :D
Mapie and Laticrete is sold at lowes. I tend to agree with Jesus but this time he is wrong. Perhaps Angus works for lowes, or sells the stuff, or doesn't actually install tile, who knows. With all do respect laticrete-mega bond is garbage, unless you plan on buttering every tile, or praying your finished product holds up. Well, I guess Jesus doesn't have to pray. tec is sold only by tile suppliers such as Florida tile. I install tile, I think Angus sells products on commission. I could be wrong, about his profession, but I'm right about the products. No bull, just facts.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts