Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I have an odd issue. This is a shower with spectralock and in one area there was a bit of clear film that looks like it had leaked out of the grout about a month after install. I scraped it off(it flaked right off) and found no other signs of failure so I assumed that it was a bit of epoxy buildup that I had missed in my cleaning. Four months later and it's back. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Did you allow it full cure time?

Or is it just soap scum?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's on the knee wall. It is below a niche but it wasn't soap the first time I removed it.

They did allow full cure time. The odd thing is that this has occurred again after I removed it about a month after completion.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It's on the knee wall. It is below a niche but it wasn't soap the first time I removed it.

They did allow full cure time. The odd thing is that this has occurred again after I removed it about a month after completion.
How short is the client?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I'd tear it out. Ok,Ok just kidding.

Being under a niche might be a clue. Water infiltration? All joints filled, caulk good?

Do any bath products react with grout? Since cleanup is with a mild acid, got any citrus bath cleaners or body washes?

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I'd tear it out. Ok,Ok just kidding.

Being under a niche might be a clue. Water infiltration? All joints filled, caulk good?

Do any bath products react with grout? Since cleanup is with a mild acid, got any citrus bath cleaners or body washes?
Actually, since it's such a small area and Spectralock is known for color uniformity I probably would just regrout that area and see. If it returns then you know it's not the grout but the environment.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It looks a bit like improperly mixed resin from the spectralock, and let's say that having oozed out, it hardened after contact with the chemicals in the bath. But it doesn't seem like you, Ethan, not to have mixed the epoxy properly.

If mixed and cured, epoxy grout shouldn't be affected by anything in a shower.

I'd suspect something from the niche above, maybe reacting with hard water.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the responses. I had assumed it was a mixing issue or product failure but I'm very careful about it and this is the only area in the shower manifesting this problem. I haven't heard back from Laticrete tech support so I'll call them again today.

I'll check the caulking again but I'm sure it's tight. I will also look into the products on the shelf, I hadn't looked for acids.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I think one of the important things here is the fact it's in only one area. I've used a lot of Spectralock and I don't see how a portion of one unit could be bad. I've only had one issue with this product. Got a batch and when I opened the "A" part, it had partially gelled. Decided not to use it and opted to drive an hour away to get replacement.
I also doubt it's water that is leaching out the grout. I think it's residue from a bathing product.

·
Orlando Car
1,636 Posts
I had an issue where Brown stains were coming thru grout. I removed the stained areas applied grout.. never again, but I never figured out what it was.. just remove the affected areas and buy yourself a mini unit and apply again.. don't look for trouble I say..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts