Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 week decent sized Master Bath remodel......quick turnover.

Client wants "firehose" pressure out of fixtures. (1/2" copper supply.....city water)

Chose .....and ordered Speakman products from their website.
After calling to get some technical specs, I found out that they will not even be shipping until the 18th.....4 days after I need this thing wrapped.

Checked another site and same deal...4-5 weeks till shipped.

My question is.......
are their products that far superior in terms of pressure out of the head?
Can I recommend an alternative (that is readily accessible) and feel confident about it?
If so.....which would be comparable.

BTW....supposedly Speakman doesn't offer diverters for their handhelds , leaving us with a 2 stack system on opposite walls. Seemed strange to me.....maybe my client misunderstood?

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
2 week decent sized Master Bath remodel......quick turnover.

Client wants "firehose" pressure out of fixtures. (1/2" copper supply.....city water)

Chose .....and ordered Speakman products from their website.
After calling to get some technical specs, I found out that they will not even be shipping until the 18th.....4 days after I need this thing wrapped.

Checked another site and same deal...4-5 weeks till shipped.

My question is.......
are their products that far superior in terms of pressure out of the head?
Can I recommend an alternative (that is readily accessible) and feel confident about it?
If so.....which would be comparable.

BTW....supposedly Speakman doesn't offer diverters for their handhelds , leaving us with a 2 stack system on opposite walls. Seemed strange to me.....maybe my client misunderstood?

Thanks,
Jonathan
I haven't noticed that Speakman is that different from the others. They all have GPM marked on them, after all. I haven't found it hard to mix other vendors' pieces (diverters, handheld holders, etc.) in with the Speakman, to customers' and designers' satisfaction, because several of the Speakman styles are a fairly bland and generic modern style, with which other manufacturers' pieces go just fine, IMO.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out that after some searching, I found a supplier and paid for expedited shipping.....so I'll have everything on Friday.

Should be enough time to get my shower finished, except for the 7day urethane wait. But, they have 4 other full baths they can shower in.

Just because the GPM's are the same, does that necessarily mean the force/speed of the water will be?
If an open ended garden hose puts out 6gpm.....and a shower head puts out 6, through 75 tiny holes, wouldn't the head push harder through the tighter aperture?

Either way, he is convinced that Speakman will satisfy his yearning for power-washer type showers........and who am I to deny the man?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
If an open ended garden hose puts out 6gpm.....and a shower head puts out 6, through 75 tiny holes, wouldn't the head push harder through the tighter aperture?
Not if the 75 tiny holes are equivalent to the ID of the hose. :no:

GPM is a function of both cross-section and pressure. Here's hoping you wind up with enough of both.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Showerheads are limited to 1.5 GPM by federal law, you need to find one you can rip the flow restrictor out of, the older Grohe Clubmasters were great for that but I haven't seen one recently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts