Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, here in WA. we dont sign much of anything. I'm Learning :)
I often find myself in a situation where a change in "conditions" rot etc., mandate a different course of action =$ . I can't get a change order signed at that moment or sometimes even that day and the work must stop because of it. So I continue w/ no signature.
What do you guys do? What should I be doing? I can't just stop...

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I think it depends on how much you trust the customer. Would you trust him with your wallet, cause thats what we do, again and again.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I agree with Bob and have had a few jobs that bit me. By and large you have to measure your customer. Some say 'Do it and don't bother me' and others want to supervise. I actually prefer the ones that are on site, when you open up a termite nest or find old water damage it's much more impressive in person.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Yep, combination of customer trust and more importantly $ amount. Just yesterday, working on a bathroom, found rotted sub-floor. Show to customer he says do what it takes. 3rd job for customer, so I do what it takes without change order. Small $ amount and have complete customer trust. He's X-navy, blue hair likes to pay in cash. That's a combination that's better than pulling a credit report in my opinion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I keep my digital camera with me so I can document what caused the additional cost, that way you have something to show the customer if there is dispute. But I think everyone is in agreement that you have to measure your customer.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The camera is a damn good idea.

I should add that also another factor would be duration of project and amount of changes. If this is a short project 3-4 days I think that gets looked at a lot differently. Also if this is like the 2nd or 3rd change I think it would be a good idea to put something down on paper. But small project, good customer, short duration, 1 change, I feel good about just getting verbal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All very good ideas , I always carry a digital cam, the bugs seem to dissapear when proprieter is in vacinity. " I SWEAR THE COLLONY WAS HUGE, GAVE ME THE WILLIES." Anyway, thaks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All very good ideas , I always carry a digital cam, the bugs seem to dissapear when proprieter is in vacinity. " I SWEAR THE COLLONY WAS HUGE, GAVE ME THE WILLIES." Anyway, thaks again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Digital cameras are a great thing to have on the job for alot of reasons.

The other day, after finishing a remodel, the contractor came through the place with a digital camcorder. Scanned the whole job, sent light-bulbs off in my head. I need one of them.

Don

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Nick you need to start getting contracts signed. This will help with P.O. and especially remodel which need to to be open bid. Or your stuck with only being able to charge legally 10% the agreed price. Which can't be disputed properly because there is no contract. Start a new trend. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will heed advice on contracts. It's just a pain in ass. Although not as big a pain as the alternative. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Send a notice of change of scope, indicating you are continuing on good faith of payment and begin documentation for a claim. Come up with all cost and with that attachment and request payment within next process payment.

The contractor that reviews payment applications have to notify you if there are any problems or adjustments with the payment application. This will bring it to a boil very quickly. Heavy documentation.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Christ Don, I thought you were going to have some juicy story about some housewife flashing you or something. (sigh)
HAHA. 15 years and not single deliberate flash on the job. Oh, there's been one or two coming around the corner into a bedroom and OOPS,SORRY MA'AM, covering eyes going to van for a smoke while she composes herself kind of things. Kinda hard to make eye contact after something like that. Feel horrible for the lady too.

But never deliberate. :-(

with tongue-in-cheek,
Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts