Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So can I connect my TV & DVD player to a set of powered speakers?

Something like Kanto Yumi speakers.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
It's doable. If your TV set has an audio output, connecting it to your Yumi speakers would be the simplest and least cumbersome way of hooking it all up. That way, whatever you see on your TV will passively come through your speakers.

Also, some TV sets have 2 audio outputs. One that's "fixed" and one that is "variable" which would also follow your volume levels so that you can keep the speakers turned up all of the time and then you can adjust the volume through your TV without having to use 2 remotes.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
had to google the speakers but it looks like you can Griz as long as your tv has a form of audio OUT that match below

• 3.5mm mini-jack AUX In
  • RCA L/R In
  • 2x Optical Toslink In

You can get a decent ONKYO surround system for about the same $ or less on sale . I have the older version of this setup......
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S350...281056_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1390740778&sr=1-1

Makes for some good TV watching....you realy hear and feel the hits in football and movies are amazing.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
As said above all you need to do is use the optical out from the TV to the speakers but this can be a fierce and fickle mistress.

For instance I don't know if those speakers can decode DD, and if you have a panasonic TV nor can they. So you go to watch Netflix with a 5.1 DD sound track and you won't get any audio...then you switch to an old movie in 2-channel and it will work.

If you want something quick and easy buy a powered speaker bar because they will decode DD...most stereo powered speakers will not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you would be better served to run everything through a reciever. Probably wouldn't be much of a cost difference.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I think you would be better served to run everything through a reciever. Probably wouldn't be much of a cost difference.
I am assuming he didn't have the space or there was some reason he was going with powered speakers and not a receiver.

But I agree receiver ask the way.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It's not only a significant cost difference but unless you peel open your wallet for a decent universal remote your wife will never figure out how the heck to use it...and that my friend is where is get's "expensive".

·
Registered
25 Posts
After 4 years, I think my wife has the remote(s) thing figured out. It took forever for her to understand "why the TV doesn't just do what I want?"

A friend of mine picked up a universal remote at Costco and said it works great...$75

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
After 4 years, I think my wife has the remote(s) thing figured out. It took forever for her to understand "why the TV doesn't just do what I want?"

A friend of mine picked up a universal remote at Costco and said it works great...$75
That would be a Harmony 700 or Harmony One, when they discontinued them they sent them all to costco for a fraction of what they originally sold for. As far as I'm concerned the Harmony One was the last good remote they ever made...in the past few years they have gone downhill in terms of service and quality that I won't ever sell another.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That would be a Harmony 700 or Harmony One, when they discontinued them they sent them all to costco for a fraction of what they originally sold for. As far as I'm concerned the Harmony One was the last good remote they ever made...in the past few years they have gone downhill in terms of service and quality that I won't ever sell another.
What I meant to say is Costco doesn't always stock universal remotes. :laughing:

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Loved the harmony one. Bought a couple to have if they ever discontinued them. The kids go through about one a year.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Loved the harmony one. Bought a couple to have if they ever discontinued them. The kids go through about one a year.
The screen breaks easily with kids tossing it. :laughing:

The 880, 890, 890 Pro and One were all great remotes. The 900 was one of the worst remotes ever made.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
The screen breaks easily with kids tossing it. :laughing:

The 880, 890, 890 Pro and One were all great remotes. The 900 was one of the worst remotes ever made.
The 900 screen sucked. Also really liked the 890. I think we installed several hundred of those. Great remote. I still have one in a box somewhere.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The 900 screen sucked. Also really liked the 890. I think we installed several hundred of those. Great remote. I still have one in a box somewhere.
The 890 Pro was great because it had discrete IR and multiroom, perfect for 2-Zone receiver installs. Button response was lame though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts