Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Looks good Aaron!

From what I've seen on my boys furiture projects, urethane tends to end up with small air bubbles when unthinned through an HVLP. What brand of urethane did you use? Maybe it's fairly thin to start with, or maybe it stays wet long enough for the bubbles to come through?

At any rate, that looks good, especialy for one coat.:thumbsup:
Joe

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I use spar outside..... Is it necessarily any better for wear attributes inside?????

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Helmsman was the brand.

I sprayed out a ton of it, and it was done in the evening with cooler air temps. So maybe it took longer to set up, which might have insured all bubbles made it out. (speculating here)

I chose it because I have an upcoming painted project that will be top coated with this, and I wanted to see how it sprayed.

Wear and tear..... I have no clue if it's better.
But I have read that SPAR urathane is more flexible???? So that might help with dings not chipping the finish.

this is partially an experiment....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Aaron look into Sikkens Products. I use their products for exterior wood doors. You're correct about the "Flexible" Basically it's about the oil/resin ratio, and you want a long oil varnish for exterior use that will not crack from sunlight and temperature changes.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, ty ranteso.

I'm just getting my feet wet with finishing, I'm a total beginner.

I spent over an hr at SW Commercial store trying to get a performance top coat for paint and wood products, that was HVLP compliant.

In the end the guy came up with opex commercial lacquer, but it wasn't ideal.
So I ended up with this.....

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Looks very nice Arron,...:thumbsup:

Have you shot any Lacquer yet......, if its applicable to what it's going on....you'll never go back to urethane. Very nice to work with in HVPL applications , very nice sheen and surface finish.

Just for the fun of it, go grab a quart of some decent lacquer, reduce it slightly, check your atomization and gun settings ....have some fun with it.......

You can work with it in such a short time, (surface sanding) ....you can get your surface to look like a sheet of glass no matter what the sheen is.
(JMPOV)

Your top came out very nice,....:thumbsup:

I'm a lacquer junkie ...........when I can use it (depending on where it's going )

Check it out,....

B,

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Brian,
And a lacquer is what I was initially headed to Sherwin Williams to get, but they didn't have anything that was proof positive for HVLP.

I really want to head the lacquer route, just need to find a product.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not completely happy with the finished product.

I've got very light "orange peel?" going on.

This is 3 coats into it.....
Anyone want to tell me what would happen after some 2000 grit wet sanding?

I'm thinking about wet sanding, waxing, and done.

Attachments

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
Assuming you have enough finish and it's dry enough to handle it, wet sanding will get the surface smooth. Just stay away from the edges. 2000 grit will get the surface down toward a gloss sheen.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
SPAR varnish is a rather "soft" finish from what I understand. It is created this way so it won't crack with wood movement on exterior applications. To what extent it is softer I don't know.

If you just starting into finishing I HIGHLY suggest you check out Target Coatings...

http://www.targetcoatings.com/

If it was me I would have finish this top using the Gloss EM9000 cross-linked with the CL-1000 Additive.
http://www.targetcoatings.com/produ...em9000-super-clear-interior-polyurethane.html
http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/additives/cl100-cross-linker.html

Downside to waterborne...some of them are super clear and won't amber the wood like your varnish did...so if you wanted that amber color you could do one of two things....Your first coats...or even finish coats for that matter could be the EM2000 instead...or you can tint the EM9000 with dye (Transtints).

It will dry hard, fast and be chemical resistant....great for commercial applications.

You can also sand and buff it up if you looking for a super smooth super glossy finish.

Also, Jeff Weiss is a wealth of information and is readily available by phone all week. That coupled with their own forum makes learning to use this stuff a breeze.

My best advice....buy products and start experimenting with them...

And of ALL the books I have read...this one has been the most useful...
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...s=understanding+wood+finishing+by+bob+flexner

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Ghost,

I've seen your post and admire your work, as well as value your opinion.

If I could have gotten Target coatings locally I would have, I was in a time crunch and had no set preference for the finish.

I'm dieing to try some "real" finishes, like what you suggested.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Thanks Ghost,

I've seen your post and admire your work, as well as value your opinion.

If I could have gotten Target coatings locally I would have, I was in a time crunch and had no set preference for the finish.

I'm dieing to try some "real" finishes, like what you suggested.
I think there are only three places that sell it in the US so you have to order it. I am lucky and its only an hour or so away from be...that being said I still just order it.

Target almost always runs a sale as well...just enter a code at check out. It usually 20 to 30% off. All in all the price of Target coatings is a great value as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts