Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a store front that just got new commercial windows and doors. The installers gouged out painted pine for the doors.

Not a big deal but a sloppy gap. The other end is a finished corner and looks like a clean finish maybe taped over. I was thinking of tear away against the door and then hot mud. Just concerned if the bond to the painted pine is weak.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Im no expert, but I feel its iffy-

the wood expands and contracts- quite a bit, given its a store front, the sun exposure will definitely move it around. The hot mud wont move much- it has a good possibility of cracking down the line.

How about a wood filler?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I would use some kind of painted trim to close the gap. Any kind of filler or mud will most likely crack and need constant maintenance.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Prime with Zinsser Cover Stain and mud away. The bead will help to reinforce it. 3M spray adhesive for bead. Trim/molding sounds like a good idea too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I was leaning toward the trimless look because its commercial and looks cleaner.

I dont install commercial doors so I cant quite figuire out why thisturned out this way. Im assuming that a typical door jamb comes in a 3 piece configuration that overlays a standard wall thickness. Im thinking the 1x pine made the wall thicker than normal so they just cut it out of the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts