Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to the south from GR Michigan and Im noticing huge differences in the quality. Humped joints seem to be the norm and what is this point up crap. We always sanded using lights and when we handed it over to the painter we were done. If we had to "point up" piss poor quality workmanship then backcharges were soon to follow. I can understand fixing damage nicks, dings, etc. but thats it and we got paid to do this. The finishers down here also seem to be 100% against automatic tools boxes etc. I guess this yank is going to have to adapt just wondering if I was the only one to notice

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
I can assure you not all drywall contractors in the South do hack jobs like the clowns you're working with. :rolleyes:

Now there are of plenty low budget builders here that hire unskilled workers that call themselves hangers and finishers. I'll give ya that. :thumbsup:

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
It's up to the superintendent to set the bar for quality. The finishers will get by with what they can, especially if they are piece workers. Super has to get it right before the painters, or suffer the consequences of schedule delays, poor quality finished product, etc.

Hacks are hacks, not matter if they are Yankees, South of the Mason Dixon, or South of the border. It's got nothing to do with locale.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what part of the south we talking
North Cackalack Its a very big commercial outfit that I work for one of the largest in the country its crazy to me because I was a Sub of Subs for 7 yrs and had good success and the subs in Michigan make some of these hourly professionals look like amateurs. I came up using automatic tools and learned to hand coat afterwards so I try to mimic the box work with my hand while these guys seem to pile the mud on and use powersanders to "plane" it back down. Its not just a few ppl in the co. it seems to be a company cultural thing down here. I used to travel the U.S. doing retro-fits so Ive seen craftsmanship in WA, IA, FL, SC, TX, CO and they all seemed to be great craftsman but while doing work in DC, VA, and NC they all seem to all finish this way. I think sanding in between coats would help but they think Im crazy for suggesting it.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
North Cackalack Its a very big commercial outfit that I work for one of the largest in the country its crazy to me because I was a Sub of Subs for 7 yrs and had good success and the subs in Michigan make some of these hourly professionals look like amateurs. I came up using automatic tools and learned to hand coat afterwards so I try to mimic the box work with my hand while these guys seem to pile the mud on and use powersanders to "plane" it back down. Its not just a few ppl in the co. it seems to be a company cultural thing down here. I used to travel the U.S. doing retro-fits so Ive seen craftsmanship in WA, IA, FL, SC, TX, CO and they all seemed to be great craftsman but while doing work in DC, VA, and NC they all seem to all finish this way. I think sanding in between coats would help but they think Im crazy for suggesting it.
Get use to it white boy!!!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've got less geographical experience than you, but my experience is that trade responsibilities and practices vary dramatically with region.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I should say is....There good for business !!!:thumbup:
Huh? didnt get that one...but your right about the white part last of a dying breed in this industry but to be honest the spanish finishers are better in most cases IMO cant find any white boys to finish anymore

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Huh? didnt get that one...but your right about the white part last of a dying breed in this industry but to be honest the spanish finishers are better in most cases IMO cant find any white boys to finish anymore
.....:sad:......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grand Rapids, MI .... didnt mean to come off as arrogant or go North Vs. South on "ya'll" me and my wife love it down here but as a craftsman its aggravating. Ill keep doing things the best way I know how and if I get fired for good quality then tuff titties....btw Ive crushed every budget this company has given me on said jobs and didn't have to put out a ****ty product to do so. They are so production minded that guys cut corners to appear fast but at the end of the job they blow their budgets by having to fix all of their cut corners. In the end it pays to do it thorough the first time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Grand Rapids, MI .... didnt mean to come off as arrogant or go North Vs. South on "ya'll" me and my wife love it down here but as a craftsman its aggravating. Ill keep doing things the best way I know how and if I get fired for good quality then tuff titties..[/B:thumbsup:

Wall......Yeah. your not arrogant at all, just a little different trade standards and operations.....

And despite N/S cultural differences, the BBQ is great.... and I never noticed tough titties at all...

Best to ya

·
Registered
Remodel
31,102 Posts
I've actually seen it as a strategy. Hump it right up and sand it off. You can use low skill / low pay labor to do that. Considering the finishing materials / labor cost breakdown, I think it could be more profitable than conventional, careful finishing.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've actually seen it as a strategy. Hump it right up and sand it off. You can use low skill / low pay labor to do that. Considering the finishing materials / labor cost breakdown, I think it could be more profitable than conventional, careful finishing.
I'm the worlds slowest taper when I have to do a small job myself.... and I'm even slower sanding........

So I can't really understand how sanding would be more economical than just applying a satisfactory tape coat.

But .... intersting proposition/idea....

·
Registered
Remodel
31,102 Posts
So I can't really understand how sanding would be more economical than just applying a satisfactory tape coat.
They use a power sander, like a porter cable orbital. The first time I saw it, there was just a huge cloud of dust - it smoothed it down real fast.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts