Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ... pretty new to the forum here but I do maintenance for a retreat facility and have a question on how to decrease the amount of sound coming into the various retreat rooms.

The problem is that the main floor of the building is an older pre-fab home that was set on a walkout basement foundation. The "studs" are 2x3s and in some cases 2x2s. Definitely not enough to hand solid core doors on. The doors that are in place at the moment are hollow core with about an inch (in some cases slightly more) gap at bottom.

I know that mass and seals are key sound prevention but I'm not sure how much more weight I can add and installing a new hollow core that closes the gaps better only helps slightly.

Is there anything you can suggest short of completely re-doing some of the framing to accomodate solid core doors?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Do the walls have any insulation in them? Fiberglass hardly does anything but it's better than nothing. If you can, fill the wall cavities with cellulose, denim insulation, or mineral/rock wool. You could probably blow in cellulose and patch the holes without tearing out all the drywall.

There should be lighter, foam core or similar doors that would do better than the true hollow core.

I assume you're not looking to do any major remodeling, so getting tighter fitting doors with gaskets and a lightweight fill should do some good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most walls do not have insulation in them ... I didn't realize they made foam core doors. I will look into that. Thanks

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Roxul safe and sound is my vote. I put them in bathrooms and bedrooms- the only sound you can hear is through the doors themselves- otherwise you don't hear toilets flushing, fans, or water hitting the bath tub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts