Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do a basement Reno and want to add some decent sound proofing between the floors. The current setup is an insulation less drywall ceiling. What is the best bang for your buck way to go?
1. Rip it off as roxul safe and sound. Re drywall
2. Add a second layer of drywall onto existing (possibly with free. Glue)
3 use sound at and so a second layer on existing

Side note: may also be adding some pot lights.. So I'm guessing I will need a box around it to seal in the sound waves

Any tips or recommendations for doing this on a reasonable budget?

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello! That's probably a good call for my first post.. I browse the form a lot so it doent really feel new anymore. I'm more of a jack of all master of none kind of guy that's has a fair amount of building experience. This project is at my own place and I do some updating on the house

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Soundproofing Between Floors

Current job is a manager in IT. Previous two were job was working with a carpenter building some high end lofts/ renos in an old gym. Prior two that was at a stone company working with veneer. Also work in landscaping building waterfalls. Low voltage electrical (networking). Security/camera systems. Many random jobs over the years

So any tips or suggestions around soundproofing. I have asked a few different people and have received conflicting responses which is why I'm seeking some advice from the forms and to hear what has worked well for you guys

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Just finished one,on the advice of a long time rocker who was too busy to get to me,I added the resilient channel over the existing rock,and put up a layer of 5/8.
Ceiling cans were something the electrician recommended,and cut tight into the rock through a layer of foam,sandwiched between the two layers of rock at can locations.
Worked good for the money available on this project and HO noticed the difference right away.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips oldfrt. Did you sandwhich foam I between the two laters of rock with the resilient channel or just around the cans to form an air seal?

Good to hear it worked well. Did you hear it your self when finished or just what the HO reported? Sound a lot cheaper than fully redoing it with insulation.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks for the tips oldfrt. Did you sandwhich foam I between the two laters of rock with the resilient channel or just around the cans to form an air seal?

Good to hear it worked well. Did you hear it your self when finished or just what the HO reported? Sound a lot cheaper than fully redoing it with insulation.
I heard it for myself since the grand kids were there daily.It won't get everything,but I'd say it cut it in half.

Insulation was just installed around can locations,the width of the distance between the channel.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Soundproofing Between Floors

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

If I go overtop of the existing rock is it worth blowing in insulation or does it not make enough of a difference acoustically do justify it

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
My experience, outside of installing an acoustical membrane on the 1st floor;

Isolate the basement ceiling structure from the finish.

Drop ceiling is a good option.

Soundproof insulation in the joist bays of the first floor...

Depends on how acoustically isolated you want to be?

You gonna turn the basement into a "man cave" to :

1) blast the amp of the sunburst Gibson GS, or do yoto

2) Or watch "Days of Thunder" in your recliner

3) not want hear someone flush the toilet from the powder room above.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The immediate intention is more man cave blast movies with out annoying others in the house. Long term it may turn Into a rental suite so I want cover my bases in lessening the sound transfer between the floors. My biggest battle lately has been deciding if it's worth ripping off the current ceiling to do add insulation. I know ducting will be the weakest link. Which is the next consideration

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,064 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.