Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
10,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I could use the help of anybody that's run across this before.

A friend of mine lives in a co-op in NYC that has a storefront with a basement. In the basement the business that occupies the storefront(bookstore) often has musicians come and perform. Unfortunately as the neighborhood changes the neighbors are less and less tolerant of noise. The basement is pretty quiet from the outside except there are two windows, maybe 4'x4', that sound really travels through. It's old single paned glass. Replacing the windows is not in the budget. They're looking for something that can be constructed and put over the windows to deaden sound during performances then taken down and stored in the closet so as to not block the light during daytime hours.

My vision is something involving a homosote sandwich with maybe some egg crate or wool or rigid foam in between. Those burgers would be stuffed into the window wells and then clipped to the brick on the side.
Best I've got. If any of you guys have dealt with an issue like this before please feel free to impart any advice. It doesn't have to be pretty, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to help a bit.

Any ideas at all are greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.

·
10,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking of for the middle of my burger. For whatever reason I really want to use homosote. It's cheap enough and works well. I'm just not sure if it'll be enough alone. Should probably put some spcers between layers I guess.

I have no idea what I'm doing here. hah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look into DEI Boom Mat or Dyna Mat. Both are marketed in the auto
market. They are thin and heavy and THEY WORK. I have my street rod lined with the Boom Mat and its like a caddy noise wise. You can get either at Summit Racing or other sources. The products were originally for speaker boxes.

·
10,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish they'd gone with my initial suggestion of hanging a rug in front of the window. They said they tried that but the rug ripped through the hooks. I offered to install grommets onto the rug but no dice. Now I've gotta do this thing.

Will update with ridiculous pictures.

·
Registered
192 Posts
peel and stick 2lb/sqft MLV on the window a layer of 5/8" firecore with 1/2" gap around the edges sitting on 1/2" rubber pads (one on each side) and caulk it in with soundproof caulking. On top of that install a layer of roxul and another layer of 5/8" firecore spaced and caulked like the first layer. Paint and its done

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sound blankets.
They look like a moving blanket but internally are designed to help prevent noise from penetrating the blanket.
I used them for inside of closets in an office building that had noisy server equipment.
With the blanket over the opening and the doors closed it made a big difference.
The ones I got were 8'x10'.
You could hang it over the windows or fold them up and stuff them against the windows.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Definitely checking out Roxul tomorrow.

When you say firecore do you mean fire rated drywall?
Yes. Normally for a soundproof wall I do a double layer with a product called green glue sandwiched between them (for the last layers, there are a few others behind that). It dries to a rubber consistency so there is movement from one layer to the other. If you can do two layers on each side with GG between them, great. Every layer helps make it more quiet. The main issue is making sure there is no mechanical connection between layers and making sure everything is sealed air tight.

The roxul will help with high end, but if bass is passing through and causing the noise, the more heavy layers the better

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
I wouldn't be thrilled about all the putting up and taking down. If the windows don't have to be opened, I'd be inclined to make them triple glazed using plate glass. Bass frequencies can still be a problem.

Doing this light and cheap is a head scratcher.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
That's what I was thinking of for the middle of my burger. For whatever reason I really want to use homosote. It's cheap enough and works well. I'm just not sure if it'll be enough alone. Should probably put some spcers between layers I guess.

I have no idea what I'm doing here. hah
If you try a homasote / roxul (or XPS) sandwich, try gluing it together with acoustic caulk blobs to keep some airspace and minimized mechanical transmission through the sandwich. Just make sure the blobs on one side of the homasote don't line up with the blobs on the other side.

I don't use particle board or plywood for any of this stuff - they transmit sound too well. If you need to go that direction, use MDF.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
..so they don't like the live music at the bookstore...makes me wonder.

Tell the neighbors to move back to the charm of a suburban utopia. They can go hear canned music at macaroni grill.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Egg crate doesn't do jack to deaden sound. Each window I'd use a sheet of 2" xps or iso, and a half sheet of homosote. Cut it tight, and it should deaden a lot of noise. If you can fit more, sandwich in a layer of drywall, more homosote, blackboard, or something between the foam.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Then hang a rug in front of it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts