Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

We are putting a hot yoga room in our house, and it sits right above our daughters bedroom. Right now there is 3/4" T&G subfloor and it needs another 1/4".

What I'm looking for is something I can put in between the two layers that might reduce the noise to the bedroom below. I know there are a lot of sound proofing options, but I don't want pull up the existing floor and any noise reduction would be good.

Any thoughts?

·
Manager/Diplomat/Builder
331 Posts
I've used some construction adhesives that help reduce sound when installing Sheetrock. I bet they, or a similar product is available that you could use between the existing subfloor and your 1/4" filler.
There may be better options out there, but someone who does more sound proofing work will know more then me.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
One of the cork, rubber, or foam underlayments will reduce impact noise from hard objects (shoes) and might help with some medium and high-frequency noise (voices, music). Your finish floor can't be nailed, though - either glued or floated.

There are no silver bullets with sound reduction - you need multiple approaches, all done very carefully, to have a significant, broad effect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no silver bullets with sound reduction - you need multiple approaches, all done very carefully, to have a significant, broad effect.
This is kind of what I was thinking too. I thought a foam underlayment might work, but the floor will be nailed so I guess thats out.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Maybe a little extreme, but what do you think about blowing in insulatioin, in the floor joist cavity.
You could drill your holes in the upper sub-floor and fill the void. The holes will get covered up with the new flooring.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I dont know what a hot yoga room is nor do I know what kind of flooring goes in one but could you put down some type of foam or rubber flooring to soften the steps? Kinda like some of the gym floors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts