Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Decoupling really is the starting point of proper sound isolation. I would never ever recommend resilient channel for several reasons. The factory damped dywall mentioned is pretty pricey for what it does. Better on many levels to use a separate damping material and standard 5/8" drywall

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Decoupling really is the starting point of proper sound isolation. I would never ever recommend resilient channel for several reasons. The factory damped dywall mentioned is pretty pricey for what it does. Better on many levels to use a separate damping material and standard 5/8" drywall
Ted what is the "separate damping material" that you speak of?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Prices range depending on where purchased and how much is applied per square foot. A medium application rate may cost $0.55 - $0.85 a square foot, again depending on the source.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Ahh gotcha green glue is excellent but you have to weigh the cost of carrying in and laying twice the sheetrock.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Performance = mass. That's the primary soundproofing driver. The cost to hang a second sheet is small. Maybe $0.20 a sqft? Varies geographically.

Compare that to the cost of waste associated with throwing away the scrap exotic drywall. Assuming a 10-12% waste factor, that's throwing away over $8 a sheet into the dumpster. That's the cost of a brand new sheet of standard 5/8"

There really aren't any numbers that justify the expense of pre-damped board, especially considering it it a lower performing option in addition to being 2X the cost

·
Commercial Contractor
2,025 Posts
Green Glue really does help. It's a great product.

Only been spec'd on two projects, but it seems to really add to the quality of the soundproofing. That is, a properly designed system, no one material makes the it more advantageous.

If I remember correctly, it was a tube per sheet, between the layers.

EDIT: By the way, I was paying $250.00/box, with 12 tubes per.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might want to shop that price. That's more than 2x what it sells for elsewhere. And tubes are more expensive than pails.

·
Commercial Contractor
2,025 Posts
I think it was due to my supplier not stocking it, it was special order for them on both projects. Also only been around here for a little over a year I think, but it's obviously picked up in popularity.

I got the 4x10 5/8 drywall for .14/sqft, and my RC-1 for .90/LF though.

I think I came out alright!

·
Commercial Contractor
2,025 Posts
Man! What a great price on the drywall. Wow!
for 10' 5/8" yeah! They always do very well with drywall and metal, but that was better than usual for sure.

Can only assume they really wanted the order.

I hope your right though and as GG becomes more of a mainstay in this region that the price lowers.

For instance, none of the suppliers here even knew they came in pails, you just informed me of that. Also one needed a whole day to figure out what it was and get pricing, so its still a baby here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Keep in mind that a soundproofing company can ship this stuff efficiently via UPS or even a small pallet. You might find that a better way to go, since the specialized soundproofing company can also offer detailed advice, schematics, etc that a drywall distributor cannot.

So you get access to the lowest cost product, no tax, low freight and all the free design advice you can stomach.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am looking to improve the soundproofing of a wall that currently has the following:
  • Sound'n Safe Rockwool
  • 2 gypses 5/8 with GreenGlue
It's ok but still hear the low-frequency bass from my neighbours...

I would like to add Sonopan panels and resilient panels + 2 gypses panels. My question is to know if it would be more efficient to remove the current 2 gypses + green glue and start from scratch by covering the rock wool with Sonopan + resilient channels. + 2 gypses...
Or if I could directly put the Sonopan and resilient channel on top of my current wall. At the end, it would contain the following: Safe'n sound rockwool + 2 gypses with greenglue + Sonopan + resilient channels + 2 gypses.
Thank you in advance for your advices.
Best
Éric

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,282 Posts
Hi, I am looking to improve the soundproofing of a wall that currently has the following:
  • Sound'n Safe Rockwool
  • 2 gypses 5/8 with GreenGlue
It's ok but still hear the low-frequency bass from my neighbours...

I would like to add Sonopan panels and resilient panels + 2 gypses panels. My question is to know if it would be more efficient to remove the current 2 gypses + green glue and start from scratch by covering the rock wool with Sonopan + resilient channels. + 2 gypses...
Or if I could directly put the Sonopan and resilient channel on top of my current wall. At the end, it would contain the following: Safe'n sound rockwool + 2 gypses with greenglue + Sonopan + resilient channels + 2 gypses.
Thank you in advance for your advices.
Best
Éric
First of all, you should start your own thread for best results, rather than piggy backing on a ten year old one.

Second, this is a site for professional builders only. If you are employed in the trades, go to the intro section, tell us about your work, and then start your thread. 👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a person who built their own recording studio, I think you should make sure you have measurable metrics and have educated the client (and perhaps yourself) that low-frequency absorption is prohibitively expensive and is often the biggest complaint that brings people in for "sound proofing" (unless you're building an apartment sized anechoic chamber, this isn't happening)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts