Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I read an article a couple years ago that recommended you never say 'your sorry' for delays. Thank the client for their patience! It sets an expectation for their emotional and verbal response.

"We had a delay and will be on site tomorrow at 9. Thank you for being patient with us."

"Of course John, its no big deal. See you then."

vs

"I'm sorry I missed our appointment."

"Damn straight you're sorry. A sorry excuse from a sorry contractor. You should be ashamed of yourself; also lick my boots clean."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds about right. I had a client this winter who gave us grief for not working on his 3rd story deck when there was a foot of snow coming down daily. Worst part? He was living in his winter home and had a camera on the deck and was watching/complaining every day.

I've got one coming up that I expect will be trouble as well. Client has already asked 5 times when the job will be done and it isn't even slated to start for 2 weeks.

I think it comes much less from a sense of owning my crew and I like slaves, and more from the bad reputation that contractors as a whole have. People like this sign the contract expecting to fight me to not get screwed. I've gotten better about cutting these clients loose when I see them coming but you can never know for sure until you have to notify them of the delay.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've got one coming up that I expect will be trouble as well. Client has already asked 5 times when the job will be done and it isn't even slated to start for 2 weeks.

Now would be the perfect time to set him/her straight.

“Your project should be done by ____..
If that’s not early enough this year, we can reschedule for next spring.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts