Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while I stumble upon a tool that works better than expected and lasts longer than I would have dreamed.

Let's start:

Lenox Bi-Metal ship auger bits:

I've used multiple bits from Hilti, Irwin, Milwaukee, Ideal and other cheapies but none even come close to these Lenox bits. I've went 12 months of rough-ins on these bits and never re-sharpened them. They are insane they last so well. IMHO no other ships auger compares.

Bosch Daredevil:

They cut rough compared to a speed-bore but they cut fast, stay sharp and eject chips well. Over a year down the road and they are still working great.

Milwaukee Switch Blade

Try these and you will never go back to a regular self feeding bit. Hit one nail and you just have to change the blade. Then you can take your damaged blades and sharpen them on a belt sander. Fantastic design.

Hilti Quad Cutting Bits

They drill concrete really fast...nuff said.

Got any of your own?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And HILTI will replace them no charge if you break a tip
Only on the quad cutters, I snapped a couple small flat laser welded SDS bits at the weld and they wouldn't replace them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I just used one of the Bosch Daredevil auger bits. They are awesome. That little screw tip pulls the bit right through the wood. No pushing necessary.

Although, there is no backing it out once it gets engaged, unless you stop and reverse it.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
I moved away from screw-tipped drills after losing the tip on a few. May be time to re-visit them. They do make pushing through a 2x scary easy.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
I needed a 1/4" diameter flush cut bit. Didn't even know if they existed. Searched around and found it. It is made by Task, never heard of them. I think they deal with the RV industry for cutting the skins of the vehicles. Anyway. These were priced at about $6 ea and I got 2 of them along with some other bits that I never even used. I couldn't believe how sharp this thing was, razor. Cut fantastic. I was cutting, not flush cutting, but cutting though some 3/4" thick spanish cedar and it went through it like butter. Very impressive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1B43B0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Task is something a hardware store here carries, not usually found in a big box or wholesaler we usually buy from.

Product is cheap, but also limited use, I found in a pinch in the middle of nowhere that's all the little stores have, works as needed.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
In terms of sharpness I would rate the task bit higher than Whitside.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing like a Lenox auger bit . I don't use anything but Lenox sawzall blades , worth the extra cost .
They bi metal Lennox auger is a game charger.

Task is a popular cheap brand here.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Had to install and make new jambs for 9-6 panel doors the other day.Loned one of these to my partner and never saw it again.We've been doing this chit for 25 years and he's never seen one.Used them in my cabinet shop for years.They make several sizes that work for cabinet doors to exterior /interior doors.I will get it back!!

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,456 Posts

Had to install and make new jambs for 9-6 panel doors the other day.Loned one of these to my partner and never saw it again.We've been doing this chit for 25 years and he's never seen one.Used them in my cabinet shop for years.They make several sizes that work for cabinet doors to exterior /interior doors.I will get it back!!
Couldn't keep shop with out 'em. One set in the shop, one set in the truck.:thumbsup:

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
I'm really liking the Wera bits (PH2, RB2, POS2, etc..) that my local tool store finally started carrying. Been 4 months and I'm still on my first Robertson.

And Task is really weird in that they will manufacture mostly cheap crap...but every now and then they have a REALLY great product, and then discontinue it.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts

Any particular brand that's nice?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts