Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like my sig says, I have a sawmill and cut some lumber once and awhile, mostly to feed my woodworking habit. I sell some too. Here are just a few pics I have of what I do, I used to have better ones but I lost them when my last computer crashed...

A pretty decent cherry from the woods, it's nice having ~40 acres of woods to play with.

A Black Walnut from a neighbor, he made trim from it for a big room addition. It had been dead for years, but the heartwood was still perfect. The pictures don't do justice to the color...

The knot in this cant was about the only knot in the log, only a few of the boards had this knot in them.

The neighbor lives about 1/4 mile away, and I didn't want to wait for him to get around to unloading the lumber, so I just dropped it off to him in the wagon. He dried it in a grain bin.

I estimate I've sawn over 2,500 board feet of lumber. From 1x's and 2x's up to 16"x16" beams. The biggest single job was 1,000 bf of poplar. I've gotten the chance to saw all the common hardwood species, and a few uncommon ones, too.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
That's cool. Wish that kind of lumber grew around here...

A WoodMizer is on my wish list. Looks like you're cutting some decent sized logs, even with a smaller model.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can squeeze a 24"x12' log on there, barely. But that's ok cause they get pretty heavy that big. It's got the 10hp motor, which is ok if you aren't in a big hurry, I definitely wouldn't want the 8hp.

Of course bigger is always better, I'd love to have an LT70 with computerized hydraulics and 50+ hp diesel engine...

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
tyb525 said:
I can squeeze a 24"x12' log on there, barely. But that's ok cause they get pretty heavy that big. It's got the 10hp motor, which is ok if you aren't in a big hurry, I definitely wouldn't want the 8hp. Of course bigger is always better, I'd love to have an LT70 with computerized hydraulics and 50+ hp diesel engine...
Haha, no doubt. Me too. I'd be very happy with the one you've got, though.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I used to buy lumber from the state penal system. The guy was selling me #2 common, but it was mostly quarter sawn. He told me he figured the labor was priced right, and they had a large supply of logs, so he might as well deliver a good product. It was white oak and I must've gone through 4000 bd ft. of it. Wish I had stockpiled 10,000 bd ft of it somewhere because I was getting it for a dollar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts