Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get a business going as hard as it is right now and not exactly sure how to bid out a plan...

Its a 3198 sq ft ranch with floor trusses 19.2 on center, 2x6 exterior walls 9' tall, 1338 sq ft garage, entire house is a 7 pitch mostly hip but a few layover trusses and couple gables with eyebrows on those gables. Inside the house there is a few arches biggest is 10 feet the other three are only 4 feet. There is one tray ceiling half of which is in the trusses, and finish stubbing up for one room for cathedral. Doors and windows, just rough in soffit to be covered with aluminum.

Any input on this would be very helpful, just a estimate what anybody else would do it for or exactly how i should bid it out and what to look for.

Thanks so much

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
tree fiddy should do it. :thumbsup:

Reactions: bwalley

·
Design Build
8,272 Posts
If you are new to the site (post #1) you will quickly learn that this is not a place to ask others how to help you bid YOUR job for you. There are far too many variables for someone online to have to give to make such a thing even possible. And for what? Are you willing to pay someone for their experience and time?

From my perspective, I can't stand being asked this. You chose to start a contracting business. Part of that business is bidding jobs. Its a skill. I'm not the best at that...but I have developed a way that works for me.

You should determine what you need / want to make...bid that...and sell your bid to whomever you are bidding to. If you are higher than others...you better be good at convincing your client why paying you more than Joe-Bob X is in their best interest.

If you jump into the bottom feeding basement pricing wars - chances are you will not enjoy life. There is a GC up here who just started paying only $2 psf for framing. He has a booklet of EXACTLY how every aspect of the job is to be fabricated. If you fail to make it EXACTLY to the stud, his way, you get back charged. I won't work under those conditions.

Good luck. Hang in here for a while - take your lumps for this type of post...and you will be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
How long is a piece of string? Depends where you located, how much you pay your guys, how much is your overhead. Why am I wasting my breath? Have at him guys!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Im trying to get a business going as hard as it is right now and not exactly sure how to bid out a plan...

Its a 3198 sq ft ranch with floor trusses 19.2 on center, 2x6 exterior walls 9' tall, 1338 sq ft garage, entire house is a 7 pitch mostly hip but a few layover trusses and couple gables with eyebrows on those gables. Inside the house there is a few arches biggest is 10 feet the other three are only 4 feet. There is one tray ceiling half of which is in the trusses, and finish stubbing up for one room for cathedral. Doors and windows, just rough in soffit to be covered with aluminum.

Any input on this would be very helpful, just a estimate what anybody else would do it for or exactly how i should bid it out and what to look for.

Thanks so much

$1,250,000+materials!!:thumbsup::eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
So lets see, we tell you what to charge, you go out and do the job, make money, and then come back here again and have us bid the next one too? Wow that would be a sweet deal for you.

Bottom line. Knowing how to bid doesn't happen overnight. If you can't figure out how to bid this job, that means it is too big of a job for you. Start small, say a porch frame or maybe a garage. If that works out ok, then move up to something bigger. This is about as good as I can make it for ya.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts

Thanks so much
I have framed homes from $1.75 sq.ft. up to $12.50 sq.ft. and everywhere in between. Some of the lower end framing jobs were the best moneymakers. One thing is certain, if you don't know all the things that can bite you in the ass, you'd better cover it.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Heres a bit of good advice if you don't frame a lot of ranches. A similar 3200 sq ft ranch will cost more to frame than a 32oo sq ft 2 story. If I have to explain why, then you are in over your head.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Heres a bit of good advice if you don't frame a lot of ranches. A similar 3200 sq ft ranch will cost more to frame than a 32oo sq ft 2 story. If I have to explain why, then you are in over your head.
Tick,tick,tick...........

1 - 20 of 70 Posts