Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few examples of our veneer work. I've found when applying veneer to look dry stacked, it helps to tint your mortar black. That way the dead space is much more convincing, even up close.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Looks nice, I like the way you went around stone in that one pic.

You put in a lot of woodstoves up there ? Seems like if there was a place for woodstoves it would be Vermont

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice, I like the way you went around stone in that one pic.

You put in a lot of woodstoves up there ? Seems like if there was a place for woodstoves it would be Vermont
Thanks, that's suppose to resemble a sunset.

Yes indeed, wood stoves are very popular up here, it gets ridiculously cold sometimes. The pellet stoves are starting to out pace them, but folks still like to put the stone heat shields around them for ascetics so it's fine by me. I guess the stones must reflect/hold the heat too. The exhaust venting is much simpler with them, anyway.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
That's ideal but if you're using cultured stone/eldorado whatever and your contract is just for a typical install there are always going to be 1/16"-1/8" gaps that if you use a light grey mortar someone can see it if they look close. Even if you're doing profit (ugg) the "stone" vary by 1/16" over a 16" piece, 2 of those high spots or low spots touching and there's a gap. If you use a dark coloured mortar that gap just looks like shadow

Just one of the tricks to trying to make thin stone look like real stone

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need for that.....just fit them tighter, man. :thumbsup:
Real dry walls have negative space in between points of contact that appear shadowy and dark. Fitting the veneer so tight might make it look more artificial. Plus that would require a lot of cuts that are impossible to dress, with cultured stone anyhow. Of course all dry style veneers look kind of fake to me. I mean who really builds a dry stacked foundation to put a modern structure on.

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So all of these pics are of fake/thin stone?
The first is cultured stone, the second and third are natural stone thin veneer, fourth is natural stone about 2-4" thick set flat on the wall and the last two are cultured stone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice!

I've been living with scratch coat on the bottom 32" of the house for too long now. Just can't seem to get around to doing the stack stone I'd like to have.

Actually considering hiring it out a) it would look better done by someone like you and b) it would actually get done and I wouldn't have to keep hearing about it.

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice!

I've been living with scratch coat on the bottom 32" of the house for too long now. Just can't seem to get around to doing the stack stone I'd like to have.

Actually considering hiring it out a) it would look better done by someone like you and b) it would actually get done and I wouldn't have to keep hearing about it.
Ha ha, thanks but your a bit out of my area. Seriously though stone products really can dress up just about any house.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Of course all dry style veneers look kind of fake to me. I mean who really builds a dry stacked foundation to put a modern structure on.
It all a matter of taste. I'd rather see tight joints than mortar any day. I've only done a couple fake stone jobs, but only one has mortar joints...you can keep that stuff

As for your later point, I don't see the relevance.

Nobody builds modern structures on stone foundations anyway...so the style of stonework on a modern building is all preference, and has nothing to do with what is correct visually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts