Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yesterday I was the blind squirrel finding the nut and stumbled into some very long term finish work in apartment complexes/condos and the like. Its repetitious, but the money is there definately in ease and fast turnover, and with Wisconsin weather as it is...this is a great deal.

Of course now that I line this up, starting tomorrow morning, I am suspecting my partner is about to screw me and bail. He has been fairly unreliable as of late, so I kinda saw it coming, but thats another issue.

Problem is, when he goes, so do his end of the tools. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to prepare for this real contingency and dont have backups of my own so I hafta whip out the Visa and shop fast. Whatever Im going to get, I want it to last cuz I will be on these jobs for a REALLY long time.

With him goes his compound miter saw and table saw, so I need to purchase replacements quick.

His miter saw is a Milwaukee 10", no-slider and it always worked great and I was plenty happy with it. I've done some looking around at the big box places to see whats out there and prices and such. I know big box places arent the best source but I need it fast and cant take a huge gouge at the moment. I see all the new funky "make a homeowner go OOOOHHH" ones with the lazers and crap. Are they even worth a ********************? Should I just get another Milwaukee? What do you guys think?

His table saw is a Craftsman, he picked it up at Sears on sale for $100 a while back and believe it or not after using it on several jobs, its actually a really nice saw. I've used the Makita prior to that and didnt mind that one either. Should I get something more serious like Milwaukee, PC, Dewalt, etc instead?

If today goes with him as I think its going to, I need to shop quick.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Long,
I have a Dewalt 12" Slider that works superbly. If you don't need the size of a slider I would still go with the Dewalt. I have a Delta table saw in my shop and bought a portable Delta 10" for like 70 bucks at a local store it works pretty good for job site use. I still use the big one for more critical cuts. I personally would stay away from sears as their tools are not what they use to be. Unless you buy some other name there. It's a shame because we use to be able to reply on the Craftsman name.
Good luck with your new venture, and it sounds like the partner is no loss. You can rely on your own tools to be there when you need them :)

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Jeeze, Longacre, if you were closer to me I'd loan you whatever you needed until you could buy exactly what you wanted. It sounds like you're a hard worker and you'll do well.

If you can get a good deal, my recommendation would be to go with the tools you "know" first to get this big job done. Later, you can shop for the "perfect" stuff if the jobs continue to roll in. Then, your original stuff will be "backups" for when a tool is out for repair or to set up a second crew. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
199 Posts
If your near a big city, go to CRAIGSLIST on your 'puter. Put your cusor on the nearest big city and click. Then go to the 'tools' section. A lot of H.O. junk, but you'll see a bit of everything. Go half of new price for really good stuff, one-third for older but useable.
It's free for seller and buyer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Min, thanks so much for the recommendations. I did buy a 10" Dewalt, non-slider. I put a 60t Diablo in it and that thing works like a dream, I LOVE it. Picked up a Dewalt jigsaw while I was there too...havent needed it yet though.

I did go with the Craftsman table saw, put a Diablo blade in that too, and so far it rips those jamb extensions and such really well so at the moment Im quite pleased with it.

Everything fit the budget I had to work with quite well and Im loving both my new toys and this new project Im on. And, everything is well with my partner, seems this new long term project perked up his attitude quite a bit.

Thanks for the tips and support guys!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Longacre said:
And, everything is well with my partner, seems this new long term project perked up his attitude quite a bit.
'Til he reads the first post of this thread!! :cheesygri

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Thats the reason I've never taken a partner, besides my Judy that is. Seems like I've heard a lot of horror stories over the years, fella's about to go at it and $hit, not for me, I don't handle confrontations well.

Bob

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Bob doesn't "handle confrontations well", hmmm...

Well isn't that a shocker! :cheesygri :cheesygri

·
Registered
438 Posts
Tell ya something, partners suck!!

I had one years back that left me holding the bag for over $68,000.00 in credit card bills, thought not bad enough with that he made them too American Express.

It has taken me quite a few years to get that back, however through the years you learn.

Be careful who you take in as a partner.

BJD

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Longacre said:
And, everything is well with my partner, seems this new long term project perked up his attitude quite a bit.
Isn't it funny how the prospect of money coming in will do that to a partner...

·
Registered
438 Posts
You guys just have the wrong attiude, always rember Money is Money.
And as long as I can, I can always make more never a problem.

I watch guys go nuts over some small ammount owed, you know if the same guy gave as much time he has trying to collect he may have made twice that by going back to work.

Quality work, fair price, and done in both a timely manner as well as a clean work area = very good business.

BJD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts