Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This couple build a 48 foot yacht by themselves from wood. Unbelieveable.

http://dieselducks.com/Wood-constructionphotos.html

Hell, I have trouble with Ikea furniture. :shutup:

I know enough about boats (USCG vet) to say this is a fine design. Fuel efficient, mid range cruiser. Looks like she'll handle the wind and the waves alright.

Just goes to show if you have a big enough charge account at Home Depot anything is possible.:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
When I was about 13 or so me 'n a buddy built (what we considered) a custom rowboat. Took us about a week, but we couldn't have been prouder.

We got the first nice fresh coat of (green) paint on it, and I went home to grab a quick lunch.

When I came back my buddy told me his neighbor insisted on buying the boat and he already agreed on the price.

Now I was really proud, - - and said well, let's get the next coat of paint on for him.

He then proceeds to tell me why that won't be necessary.

The guy bought it as a sandbox for his kids . . . :laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn Tom, that's just cold. Can't believe the guy did that to you. Did he lowball you on the price?

Boat building is cool, shipyards are some neat places to see. The Polar Sea is 399 feet long with 80 feet of beam, 20 feet of displacement, and weighs over 15,000 tons. We put her in dry dock at Todd in Seattle. It was an awesome sight to see her rising out of the water. Like a fat chick levitating.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
When I was about 13 or so me 'n a buddy built (what we considered) a custom rowboat. Took us about a week, but we couldn't have been prouder.

We got the first nice fresh coat of (green) paint on it, and I went home to grab a quick lunch.

When I came back my buddy told me his neighbor insisted on buying the boat and he already agreed on the price.

Now I was really proud, - - and said well, let's get the next coat of paint on for him.

A sail is a sail,
as a sale is a sale. :laughing:

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts

:clap::laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This should be our CT get together project. We got everything we need to build a boat.

Carpenters and framers to build the structure.

Mike Finley can design and build the head.

Silvertree and Leo can build the galley.

We got electricians to wire the thing.

Warner can, uhhh, ummm, tell ya what we'll figure out Warners job later.

PGD can be the anchor.

Shane can handle the engine.

I can be the Captain. Jumbo Jack can be my first mate.

Oh yeah, we can totally do this. It'll be a blast.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Mike Finley can design and build the head.
Geeze, what an honor. :laughing:

I've actually been sailing for about 10 years, have my own sailboat and have a bare boat certification up to 50 ft. Maybe you could find something a little more... um interesting for me? :notworthy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Mike, you're in charge of the head and the ship to ship missle system. Better? I figure the DIY board will get together and build a boat too. We'll have us a battle royale.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's awesome people can find the time to do that scale of a job... i dream (wet un's) about cedar strip canoes... all you hardcore carpenters should look into them if you want a new hobby... i researched them a couple years back and just roofed a house for a guy that builds quite a few... remarkable... i could so do it if i had the time and money.... all at the same time... maybe a retiremnet project.... But if this becomes a Videogame like SIMMS or something.... can i have a job too? I can get my wife to help.... her bra and underpants would make great sails.....crap.....i cant believe i just said that. They'd be hemmed a little right? Maybe they'll look smaller and then she wont be mad at me for that remark.

What is the right answer when your wife asks... Honey, does my butt make these pants look big?

·
4,617 Posts
What is the right answer when your wife asks... Honey, does my butt make these pants look big?
"No, your butt makes those pants look PHAT, Boi !!!!"

And Husky, that stern is gonna be a ***** in a following or quartering sea. Its also gonna catch the wind like sail. I hope they have a decent chine and keel on that sucker or its gonna roll like a fat man trying to get up out of a lazy boy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"And Husky, that stern is gonna be a ***** in a following or quartering sea. Its also gonna catch the wind like sail. I hope they have a decent chine and keel on that sucker or its gonna roll like a fat man trying to get up out of a lazy boy.
Here's a pic of what I used to sail on. She was a tough boat, but handled the sea like a football in a swimmng pool. She had a round bottom ice breaking hull. 15 degree rolls in FAC were the norm. She was designed to roll up to 110 degrees before capsizing. 1.5 million gallons of diesel helped with stabilty.

I'm not used to a boat that handles well or smoothly, so perhaps my standards are a little low.

You mean stuff isn't supposed to go flying off shelves in 4 foot seas?:blink:

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Geeze, what an honor. :laughing:

I've actually been sailing for about 10 years, have my own sailboat and have a bare boat certification up to 50 ft. Maybe you could find something a little more... um interesting for me? :notworthy

But....."We do one thing, and we do it extraordinarily well."

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
This couple build a 48 foot yacht by themselves from wood. Unbelieveable.

http://dieselducks.com/Wood-constructionphotos.html

Hell, I have trouble with Ikea furniture. :shutup:

I know enough about boats (USCG vet) to say this is a fine design. Fuel efficient, mid range cruiser. Looks like she'll handle the wind and the waves alright.

Just goes to show if you have a big enough charge account at Home Depot anything is possible.:laughing:

I used to live on an island in the UK and my neighbor one day decided he wanted to start building boats. He gave me and a shipwright a job to build a plug and mold and this was the first boat he had ever built. Good first try i think. The shipwright had some serious wood skills.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Great link, thanks, i read the whole site, what a process, now i have another thing to do before i die, BUILD A BOAT:thumbsup:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
Anyone see the small sailboat Norm Abram built on the New Yankee Workshop several years ago? A cool little project. I can't imagine the time it would take to build a wood sailboat on a larger scale.

This was the only clip I could find online:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=109141260658491309

1 - 20 of 31 Posts