Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Awesome, just awesome!
Absolutely love this kind of work.

What are the blanks made from? Looks like poplar, but did you have to glue it up (looks like solid pieces from the photos)?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I am continually humbled by the craftsmanship I see around here. I get all stoked and post a really nice entry door install we just finished, and then I see something like this. It makes me want to hang my head in shame.

BEAUTIFUL work Darcy! :thumbsup:

BTW, our mill shop just made me some brickmold for a circle top storm door we are going to be installing. Our mill shop guy used Hickory. He said he likes to use Hickory because it stands up to the weather really well, holds paint etc. Next time you do a project like that, you might want to check it out.

·
I like Green things
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was a fun project (there were times i wanted to toss them in the wood stove though) that i got to learn a bunch of stuff while doing it.

Learned how to set up a machine that may be one of 3 similar ones that are running, learned how to turn and learned how to sharpen lathe tools.

Heck, i even made a little money too.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Are you concerned about wood movement with Poplar as an exterior material?
I learned my lesson after making some custom screen doors out of
Poplar---never again.
My $.02

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Looks suspiciously like craftsmanship.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I had to make corbels for a patio cover we built.. I made 4 then the customer wanted 4 more. I said ok you can have 4 more and they are $700 each. Lol. Mine were no where near the detail you made and I already decided I wasn't making another corbel as long as I live.

May I ask what you charged for those? And how long they took.

·
I like Green things
22,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had to make corbels for a patio cover we built.. I made 4 then the customer wanted 4 more. I said ok you can have 4 more and they are $700 each. Lol. Mine were no where near the detail you made and I already decided I wasn't making another corbel as long as I live.

May I ask what you charged for those? And how long they took.
400 each i believe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts