Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,555 Posts
I've had to carve a few rosettes in my time. They would take me about 8 hours to do. I made a duplicator to copy one that I hand carved. After I would copy one I'd spend 3/4 of an hour on it with a couple of carving tools and make it hand carved. You couldn't tell the difference. It took me 3/4 hour to duplicate one and then another 3/4 hour to tune it in. 1 1/2 vs 8 hours.

I'm sure they could do the same if they wished.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,555 Posts
This is the extent of my carving skills. This was hand carved and used and a duplicator blank

It went on this.

I don't think I could ever get to your skill level.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've had to carve a few rosettes in my time. They would take me about 8 hours to do. I made a duplicator to copy one that I hand carved. After I would copy one I'd spend 3/4 of an hour on it with a couple of carving tools and make it hand carved. You couldn't tell the difference. It took me 3/4 hour to duplicate one and then another 3/4 hour to tune it in. 1 1/2 vs 8 hours.

I'm sure they could do the same if they wished.
i still must disagree,the difference is in the finish,traditionally all the finished carving is not sanded,but the finish surface is the one that the gouge leaves..really a cnc can´t leave the same surface,all the shapes are not crisp and everything look quite dull and anonymous..i had a master carver as a teacher,you can look his homepage,and see what i´m talking about.. http://bildhuggaren.se/info/ of course you can use a duplicator,nothing bad with that,in Sweden the industries that make rococo or gustavian furniture still can´t carve all the motives with the cnc..my teacher used to have 3 or 4 boxes full of ornaments that needed to be finish because the cnc machine could not reach the same amount of crispness in the details.. if there was no differences between hand work and computer or machine work all the crafts of the past would disappear..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
looks good leo..this rosette is one of the flowers you learn to do in the school as a system..i think you can reach a very good level but of course it takes like years in doing only that..it takes a lot of time and effort..it is normal it takes 8hour to do something that you never did but at the time you did 10 or 20 of that you will get much faster..i really like this door!nice lines!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,555 Posts
Since it was being used as a template for my duplicator I wanted durable. I thought about maple but rejected it cause "I ain'ta carv'n no maple" I did put a coat of epoxy over the whole thing to make it even more durable. I have 3 different rosettes that I can use on the duplicator......if I ever put it back together again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Since it was being used as a template for my duplicator I wanted durable. I thought about maple but rejected it cause "I ain'ta carv'n no maple" I did put a coat of epoxy over the whole thing to make it even more durable. I have 3 different rosettes that I can use on the duplicator......if I ever put it back together again.
avoid carving maple and the epoxy move were kind smart solution!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Beautiful work.....I think you have a very bright, and likely incredibly rewarding future.....that would be near the top of my list on 'dream job'.........

That's a skill set we don't often get to see anymore in the states.......

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
unfortunately, or thanks God..you can really tell the difference between a handcarved mirror or ornament and one made with a CNC,,really a huge difference..
Save labor with CNC to rough it in. Skilled carver completes just like a more traditional - larger studio. "Artisans" usually rough the work in those cases.

:whistling But who ever sets up the CNC has to be a master carver with some mad 3D CG skills

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Save labor with CNC to rough it in. Skilled carver completes just like a more traditional - larger studio. "Artisans" usually rough the work in those cases.

:whistling But who ever sets up the CNC has to be a master carver with some mad 3D CG skills
Thanks Rockmonster for your compliments,but if we look to what the old timers did before us,well..this is really nothing!

also a friend of mine said the same thing! but i tought..."for saving labor should i buy a 100.000 dollar computerized machine...mmm..i think i will stick to my planes and carving gouges for a while..:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
also a friend of mine said the same thing! but i tought..."for saving labor should i buy a 100.000 dollar computerized machine...mmm..i think i will stick to my planes and carving gouges for a while..:thumbup:
Don't need a 100,000 machine. Most wood carving can be done on one in the 6-12,000 US range. Nothing against roughing it out by hand. Just consider the CNC an option for a helper at 1/2 the price of one years wages.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts