Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trim i was doing today not sure if i like the scale of it on the window, its almost a little to thick on the top for me but shes happy. Sorry the pics suck was in a hurry was late getting son for haircut and daughter to dance. :laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
It does seem a little thick at the window.

Looks like you were keeping the same total height at the center and changing the radius to accommodate.

Keeping the same radius, or at least very similar, and not force the center height may have yielded a more pleasing result.

Still looks good though. I like the view out the window.:thumbsup:

Nice work and do the dad taxi, all in a days work.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Nice job, i ran into some too not to long ago!:thumbup:

had this custom bent out of cherry to try to match cabs! made templates and gave them ot a local cab shop, wasnt cheap,but it was worth it!

Attachments

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The door top was 74" the window was 58.5" if i remember right. I wanted to keep the thin end the same thickness as the side casing. Oddly i kept the radius the same both of em worked out to around 7/64 rise per inch of run. Not sure if it the was the right thing to do or not. :blink: Got a 24" wide window and 2 32" doors to do tomorrow still not sold it'll look right there. The rest is all 6' stuff so thats ezmode now.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The door top was 74" the window was 58.5" if i remember right. I wanted to keep the thin end the same thickness as the side casing. Oddly i kept the radius the same both of em worked out to around 7/64 rise per inch of run. Not sure if it the was the right thing to do or not. :blink: Got a 24" wide window and 2 32" doors to do tomorrow still not sold it'll look right there. The rest is all 6' stuff so thats ezmode now.
Why don't you try something tomorrow then. lay out one of the 6' ers and use it as a template for the smaller doors. keep the start point the same and connect the dots with the radius of the large arc.

See if that looks good to ya

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a fun video on drawing an arch.Videos - Fine Homebuilding I tried it and it worked fine.

That is a good idea. I did kind of the same thing, grabbed a piece of 1/2 x 3/4 pine clamped it at my center height, clamped at side height then slowly bent it around to the other side. It worked pretty effective. I tried the T square first but it wanted to lay to flat because it was to short to reach side to side.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I like it. The board under the sill should be angled on the ends just like the ends of the header & it would look great.
Steve

Trim i was doing today not sure if i like the scale of it on the window, its almost a little to thick on the top for me but shes happy. Sorry the pics suck was in a hurry was late getting son for haircut and daughter to dance. :laughing:

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some more pics from today, finished up the closet shelves, nothing spectacular couple bars and some shelves. ;)

Trim over utility closet and the small window i talked about, i was worried about it but i think i did an ok job scaling it down for the smaller opening.

Over the 2 doors, it died into the corner alot nicer than i figured, of course my pic is terrible

French doors she found somewhere that are god knows how old. What a treat it was hanging those. Every side had been hacked atleast once, way out of square different heights and widths. Installed base as well today.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I like it. It is nice and simple. I love trim like that every now and then. Run around and take the sizes down. Create the trim back home, drill pocket holes for the leg to head joint. Only thing you have to do on site at that point is fasten the screws and nail up the trim...presto bamo...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts