Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to a new, larger, office space that has those ugly old fashioned looking drop cielings in them. I want to keep my office remodel costs down, so I'm thinking about either:
a) having the white drop cielings painted black or charcoal (goes w/my decor)

OR

b) replacing the white panels with black or charcoal panels.

If I paint the panels, at some point I will have to paint them white again. The painter will charge me about $200 for $350 square feet.

I can't seem to find black drop ceiling panels anywhere. Can you tell me where I can look and about what they would cost? Do you think it would be easy to remove the white panels and replace with black?

Any other ideas as to how I can inexpensively make the cieling look less old fashioned/cliche?

Thanks
Jacked

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I've never seen the panels for drop ceilings in any other colors, but then I've never really looked. Your best bet is to have them painted. The panels have to be taken down, painted and then put back up and for 350 sq. ft., $200 isn't too bad. Also, considering the cost of replacing the panels is much higher than $200, I'd go ahead and have them painted.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wonder if you could put a black cloth dye into a spray gun and light mist the dye onto them? It would definitely eliminate the need to repaint if you got an even coverage.... I have messed with dyes a little bit but not in a spray gun - kinda thinking out loud here.

Tim

P.S. I've never seen them in anything but white either.....

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Jacked,
Not knowing how large the office is. Could you not cover the panels with something like cloth? Take it off when your done and call it a day? They still would have to come down so yould staple the fabric on but there would be no mess and no repainting. Just a thought. You could get black fabric pretty cheap.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
How about painting or gluing fabric to the BACKSIDE of the panels and then just flip'em over when it's time to leave?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
How about painting or gluing fabric to the BACKSIDE of the panels and then just flip'em over when it's time to leave?
This was going to be my suggestion. Take a panel down and see if the other side is usable (some are, some aren't). If it is, this would be my choice.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Dude, You're a month and a half behind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts