Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an engineer but I figured you guys and girls who actually do the work might have a solution for the problem below. Thanks in advance.

A guy renovated his house and installed new rafters with a 12" overhang. He only has the rafters and sheathing on the front portion of the house. The problem is that the property line is basically the edge of the building and the neighbors driveway starts right at the property line/edge of building. The runoff from the roofs lands on the driveway. The guys neighbor is a real piece of work and complained to the building inspector that the overhang is now 4" more onto his property and that the stormwater runoff goes onto his driveway. The neighbor won't allow gutters to be installed because the encroachment on his property would be another 4"-6" even though we are talking about 20' in the air.

Is there a type of gutter system that can be installed within the overhang, like a trench drain?

Anyone know of any other creative ways to prevent water from pouring onto the driveway?

Worst case, I believe the code official will let him reinstall the rafters with an 8" overhang as that was the existing condition but the owner would rather not have to redo the work.

Thanks.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
sounds like this guy is going to have more problems than just the gutters living next to this :censored: I think you might be talking about the old yankee gutter type of system? Might be tough to find guys that still do that but you never know

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
sounds like this guy is going to have more problems than just the gutters living next to this :censored: I think you might be talking about the old yankee gutter type of system? Might be tough to find guys that still do that but you never know
most guys who install slate/tile will be familiar with yankee gutters, box gutters etc.

Frankly, I think the neighbor has a valid point.

Also-around here it's fairly common for a neighbor to complain about water being dumped from one property onto theirs-and the city will side with the guy getting dumped on and enforce a redress of the situation

Stephen

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
I totally agree that dumping water onto neighbors property is a no no but im just wondering why it would be so much better removing 4" from the rafters and then putting a gutter...Youre pretty much accomplishing the same thing .The main concern would be where does it end up (leader placement). Maybe im reading it wrong but it sounds like hes just busting balls..

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
If he didn't have the 12" overhang before where was the water going?... Since he has the overhang now, how was that approved to begin with and allowed to encroach on neighbors property ... Frankly encroachment is illegal in most places, this why zoning department is looking at everything before its approved.
With that said, isn't there something in the code that if a house 5' or less from the property line, his whole soffit assembly and the newly renovated wall should have a 2 hr Fire rating?

If there is no problems with the above said, he should have his leaders discharge to the same location as before... Even if the overhang is 12" the leader is installed on the building, which should be its original location and it should discharge the same way.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
Box gutters or what I call Dutch gutters have a flat trench that directs water, one can walk in it. But it has to be built that way.
What I call a "yankee gutter" can be your ticket, It is basically a cleat a few course up the slope that directs water to a drain through the soffit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The code official agreed to have him cut the overhang down to 4" and then install a gutter which will put him right around 8" which is what the overhang was originally.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. The code official agreed to have him cut the overhang down to 4" and then install a gutter which will put him right around 8" which is what the overhang was originally.
If the overhang was originally 8 " I bet that water shot at least four inches past the overhang on the neighbors driveway anyways at 20' .

What a douche! I could see complaining if the overhang never existed and he never got water before but from what I'm reading there is no way this is a new issue.

Good luck to your friend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts